KEMRI – RCTP
The Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), in collaboration with the Washington University in St. Louis (Wash U) is currently conducting research projects that include the ADAPT-I (Adaptive Strategy for Preventing and Treating Lapses of Retention in Adult HIV Care (ADAPT-R) Study and ADAPT-R-II.
The ADAPT studies utilise the novel sequential multiple assignment randomized trial (SMART) approach to assess the effectiveness and cost efficiency of a family of sequential strategies to prevent initial lapses in HIV retention and to treat those that occur.
We have the below vacancy in the ADAPT-R-II study.
K MR 6
Vacancy No. FN-012-04-2020
Reports to: Study Manager
Duration: 1 Year Renewable Contract as per KEMRI Scheme of Service. The first 3 months is probation period
Position description: This is a software developer position. Translating business and functional requirements into software development goals will be a key responsibility.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, test, and execute the electronic data enterprise for the study
- Develop data input forms, write and modify code, and generate queries and reports to meet study standards and procedures
- Develop user friendly interfaces with strict data quality parameters for data entry
- Develop a Node.js API to communicate with the Machine Learning Recommendation system (MLRS).
- Assist with the development of data pipelines to migrate data from clinical sources to the data warehouse, and work to develop user-facing modules to consume data from both MLRS and data warehouse
- Maintain and troubleshoot software functionality, ensuring consistent study data flow
- Write and execute queries to extract data from OpenMRS/KenyaEMR
- Prepare flow charts and system diagrams to illustrate data system and assist in problem analysis and detailed design source documentation
- Provide support and advice to system administrators when they encounter software issues that require a more advanced software understanding
- Provide software as needed to transfer and transform data between platform and data stores such as MySQL, SQL, ODK, among others
- Analyze and develop, or recommend, software solutions to support and extend software applications and to meet user and study needs
- Work closely with the Study Data Manager, ICT officer, and end users for optimal data system use and functionality
- Liaison with FACES programming team through frequent communication and knowledge sharing for enhanced and complimentary programming skills
- Prepares data for analysis in various formats as required by investigators.
- Participate in weekly science meetings, US-Kenya data manager meetings, and in-country study team meetings
- Report to local investigator
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems/Computer Science or equivalent from a recognized university.
Specific skills include:
- Knowledge in using APIs (RESTful, JSON)
- Ability to work with ODK, OpenMRS/KenyaEMR, and other open source systems is an added advantage
- Demonstrated expertise in software architecture, object-oriented design, design patterns, data structures and multi-threading
- Proven ability to write code, program parameters for data integrity, and extract data from relational databases using SQL
- Ability to work closely with the study team to translate user requirements into functional specifications then into technical development
- Proven ability to train users on the computer application use
- Ability to create user, application and technical documentation for developers and end-users
- Ability to stay abreast of current technology advances and learn new development tools and technology
- Fundamental competencies of interpersonal skills, communication, accountability and teamwork.
Applications should include the following:
- A cover letter stating current position and date available to start working for the program
- A current CV including email and mobile phone contact
- Name and phone number for two professional referees
- Two letters of recommendation
- A copy of the latest pay slip (if applicable)
- Copies of academic and professional certificates
- Must have Certificate of good conduct
- Must have KRA Certificate of Tax compliance
- Must have Clearance Certificate from HELB
- Must have credit reference Bureau Certificate
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are encouraged to send in their applications through email; firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: May 10, 2020
KEMRI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITED TO DIVERSITY; PERSONS WITH DISABILITY, WOMEN, YOUTH AND THOSE FROM MARGINALIZED AREAS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
KEMRI DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF ITS SELECTION PROCESS INCLUDING APPLICATION, INTERVIEW AND PROCESSING OF OFFER LETTER.
IF ASKED FOR A FEE, REPORT SUCH REQUEST IMMEDIATELY.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.