Kenya Ports Authority (KPA), is a Commercial and Strategic State Corporation mandated to maintain, operate, improve and regulate all sea and inland waterway ports in Kenya.
KPA aspires to position the Port of Mombasa as a competitive regional hub. The Port of Mom basa is a major gateway to East and Central Africa and is one of the busiest ports along the East African coastline.
The Port provides direct connectivity to over 80 ports worldwide and is linked to a vast hinterland comprising Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, Northern Tanzania, South Sudan, Somalia and Ethiopia by road.
A railway line also runs from the Port to Uganda and Tanzania.
The Authority is seeking to recruit an individual with high degree of integrity and professionalism, impeccable administrative capabilities and strategic orientation to fill the position of Managing Director.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Managing Director will be an ex officio member of the Board and will have Executive responsibility for operating port services and facilities and maintaining, improving and regulating all scheduled seaports on the Indian Ocean coastline of Kenya, Inland Waterways and Inland Container Depots.
- Support formulation and implementation of the approved integrated strategic plan for the growth of KPA and the achievement of KPA’s vision, mission and corporate objectives
- Coordinate development of the annual and periodic budgets and plans for the organization
- Ensure effective management and utilization of the financial, human and other resources to meet the operational, statutory, social and economic objectives of KPA
- Secure effective cooperation and collaboration with other public, private and international bodies and institutions that have important roles for the provision of integrated port services
- Ensure regulatory compliance and implementation of high standards of internal controls and procedures
- Ensure compliance with policies and laws
- Provide leadership and guidance to the general managers of various divisions as well as departmental heads who report to him/her
- Maintain a conducive work environment for attracting, retaining and motivating employees while fostering a corporate culture that promotes ethical practices and good corporate citizenship, and
- Any other duties assigned by the Board of Directors.
- Be a holder of a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in any of the following disciplines: Port Management, Maritime and Shipping Logistics, Engineering, Business, Social Sciences, Public Policy, Science & Technology or related field from a recognized institution
- Have knowledge and experience of not less than 15 years of relevant work experience with at least eight (8) years served in managerial/leadership role in a large organization, either commercial or public entity with a national mandate
- Be a member of a recognized professional body and be in good standing
- Experience in Strategic Leadership Development and/or Corporate Governance
- Knowledge and understanding of the port industry and naval/maritime operations will be an added advantage, and
- Have a thorough understanding of public sector policy and reforms, corporate planning and relevant legislations.
Shortlisted candidates will be required, at the time of the interviews, to satisfy the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 through provision of:
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations
- Clearance Certificate from the Higher Education Loans Board
- Tax Compliance Certificate from the Kenya Revenue Authority
- Clearance from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission, and
- Report from an Approved Credit Reference Bureau.
An attractive remuneration package and benefits determined ¡n line with prevailing public sector guidelines awaits the successful candidate.
This appointment is on contractual terms for an ¡nitial period of three (3) years and is renewable for a further term of three (3) years based on performance and business requirements.
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role above, please submit your application including copies of your academic and professional certificates, testimonials and your curriculum vitae, including among other details your current position, current remuneration, email and telephone contacts of three (3) referees familiar with your qualifications and work experience.
Interested applicants should submit soft copy applications on-line by visiting the Kenya Ports Authority Careers Portal https://kpa-erecruitment.kpa.co.ke and a hard copy application to:
Kenya Ports Authority
P.O. Box 95009-80104
Copies of application should also be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be received not later than 24th April 2020.
Kenya Ports Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), and is committed to diversity and gender equality.
Canvasing will lead to automatic disqualification.