Kenya Plant Health Inspectorate Service (KEPHIS)
Vacancy Announcement: Managing Director
Job Ref: VA/1/5/2020
The Kenya Plant Health Inspectorate Service (KEPHIS) is a State Corporation under the KEPHIS Act No. 54 of 2012.
The Service is a regulatory agency under the ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries and Cooperatives mandated to assure on quality of agricultural inputs and produce.
KEPHIS is seeking to recruit a competent and visionary individual who together with the Board of Directors will provide leadership and steer the Service towards attaining its vision and objectives.
The Managing Director serves as the Chief Executive Officer and reports to the Board of Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing strategic leadership in accordance with the mandate of the service as stipulated in the KEPHIS Act, 2012;
- Overseeing day to day operations of the Service to ensure efficiency, quality of service and cost effective management of resources;
- Overseeing the preparation and implementation of the performance appraisal systems and contracts of all directorates, departments/divisions/units;
- Promoting institutional accountability;
- Ensure implementation and fulfilment of the policies and agreed objectives, performance targets and standards of the Service;
- Coordinating the preparation of long term strategy and business proposals;
- Recommending to the Board annual budgets, annual work plans, annual procurement plans and performance targets;
- Instituting adequate internal control procedures and monitoring their effectiveness;
- Preparation of board papers and other submissions for consideration by the Board;
- Developing and implementing effective financial management policies and systems for monitoring and reporting financial performance in line with financial and budgetary policies and procedures of government;
- Developing and implementing effective human resource management and administrative policies and systems;
- Enhancing the corporate image of the organization;
- Ensuring Board of Directors decisions are implemented and reported on time;
- Ensuring effective communication with stakeholders, between Management and the Board as well as between different levels of Management;
- Being the principal spokesperson of the Service;
- Ensuring prudent management and utilization of funds, other resources and assets of the Service;
- Ensuring that annual financial audits are conducted and recommendations addressed;
- Fostering a corporate culture that promotes ethical practices and good corporate citizenship;
- Identifying and sourcing for favourable development partners;
- Implementation of a quality management system and ensuring effective and efficient achievement of the Service’s financial and operating goals and objectives;
- Liaison with local and international institutions on agricultural trade, plant biosecurity including sanitary and phytosanitary and seed systems; and
- Signing government & donor grant agreements and contracts and related documents.
- Master’s Degree in Agriculture, Plant or Chemical Sciences from a university recognized in Kenya;
- Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture, Plant or Chemical Sciences, or related discipline from a university recognized in Kenya;
- PhD in a relevant field will be an added advantage; and
- At least fifteen (15) years relevant working experience, seven (7) of which should be at a Senior Management level.
- Demonstrable understanding of financial and human resources management and development, corporate governance, and quality assurance of agricultural inputs and produce;
- Demonstrable understanding of strategic leadership and management;
- Ability to develop and implement performance management systems, giving candid performance feedback; and
- Demonstrable results in work performance; and
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in computer applications.
Interested Candidates are Required to Note;
Shortlisted candidates will be required to present originals of the following documents during the interviews;
a) National Identity Card / Passports;
b) Academic and Professional Certificates;
c) Any other supporting documents and testimonials; and
d) Must be compliant with the requirements of Chapter 6 of the Constitution which includes clearances from the following bodies:
i) Kenya Revenue Authority;
ii) Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission;
iii) Higher Education Loans Board;
iv) Any of the Registered Credit Reference Bureaus;
v) Directorate of Criminal Investigations (Police Clearance Certificate); and
vi) Recommendations from relevant professional bodies and associations(where applicable).
Mode of Application
a) Candidates may submit manual (hard copy) or soft copy applications.
b) All applications should be submitted together with detailed curriculum vitae, copies of ID/Passport, academic certificates, testimonials and any other relevant supporting documents.
c) Manual applications should be submitted in a sealed envelope clearly marked:
“Application for the position of Managing Director” and delivered to:
Board of Directors,
Kenya Plant Health Inspectorate Service (KEPHIS)
Oloolua Ridge, Off Ngong Road,
P.O. Box 49592 – 00100
And also email to firstname.lastname@example.org
d) Soft copy applications should be submitted to the Chairman KEPHIS Board of Directors through Email to: email@example.com
All applications should be submitted on or before 30th April, 2020 by 5:00 pm.
Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted.
KEPHIS is an equal opportunity employer.
CANVASSING WILL LEAD TO AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION.