A health systems approach to prevention of Female Genital Mutilation using Person-Centered Communication: Implementation Research Project in Guinea, Somalia and Kenya
Job Description: Research Coordinator
Position Purpose: The overall purpose of this position is to coordinate and administer research activities in Kenya.
The research coordinator will be expected to assist the study Principal Investigator (PI)/Co-investigator in project planning, recruitment and training of data collection team members and ensuring that the study implementation follows the guidance provided in the study operations manual, standard operating procedures (SOPs) and good clinical practice (GCP) principles.
Background: The aim of the multi-country, implementation research project is to test a health system strengthening intervention package incorporating person-centered communication for FGM prevention at antenatal care settings in Guinea, Kenya and Somalia.
The study will utilize a cluster randomized design with a staggered intervention implementation to test the effectiveness and feasibility of the intervention package. It will also explore “how” and “why” the intervention package achieved intended results using a process evaluation.
In Kenya, the University of Nairobi was selected as the in-country research partner institution to collaborate with the World Health Organization (WHO) in implementing the study. In Kenya, the study will be implemented in Kajiado, Baringo, and Elgeyo Marakwet counties.
The research coordinator is expected to work closely with research team members in each of these counties providing daily oversight and coordination of research activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in training of data collection team members using the approved study protocol, study operations manual and following GCP principles
- Ensure data collection team members adhere to study procedures as detailed in the approved study protocol, study operations manual and SOPs and following ethical principles
- Provide day-to-day oversight and coordination of all research activities to ensure accurate and timely data collection
- Supervise day-to-day study conduct including implementation of the intervention package and safe custody of data collection tools including tablets and audio recorders
- Supervise qualitative data collection, translation, transcription and oversee custody of audio files and transcripts
- Conduct regular site visits to monitor compliance with approved study protocol, operations manual and SOPs regarding participant recruitment, obtaining informed consent, data collection and reporting of adverse events
- Contribute to data analysis, interpretation of results as well as dissemination through preparation of study manuscripts, policy/evidence briefs, dissemination workshops etc.
- Provide the PI/Co-PI with regular updates on study implementation and data collection monitoring
Technical Supervision: The Research Coordinator reports to the PI/Co-PI.
- University degree preferably in a health-related field
- Previous training in good clinical practice/ethical conduct of research
- Minimum of one-year experience in coordinating and managing clinical trials, preferably in the sexual reproductive health field
- Minimum of one-year experience in coordination, training, financial (petty cash) and personnel management within a research setting
- Training or work experience in female genital mutilation will be an added advantage
Technical skills and competencies
- Detailed oriented and ability to meet timelines/deadlines
- Excellent skills in program management and coordination
- Excellent, interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent training facilitation skills
- Excellent skills in problem solving and conflict management
- Strong knowledge and skills in good clinical practice/ethical conduct of research
Language requirement: Proficiency in English and one of the local languages used in the study (Maasai, Tugen and/or Marakwet).
Place of assignment: The research coordinator will be based primarily in Nairobi with regular travel and on an ad hoc basis according to arising needs to participating sites in Kajiado, Baringo, and Elgeyo Marakwet counties.
How to Apply
Applicants to mail their CV’s to email@example.com Application close on May 22nd 2020 close of business.