Sanergy is an award winning social enterprise that employs the circular economy approach to treat and convert all forms of urban waste into organic fertilizer and insect based animal protein.
Sanergy manufactures and distributes Evergrow Organic Fertilizer and Kuzapro Insect Based Animal Protein, under the Farm Star brand.
We are an increasingly sophisticated, highly intricate organization with many moving parts.
The organisation is scaling its black soldier fly breeding facility in Kilifi.
One of the most critical points of time is the handover of the facility to Operations and the ramp-up period following.
Additionally, much work is still needed to develop the processes and specifications to rear flies at an industrial scale.
We currently seek a Research & Development Specialist 1 who will be assisting in ensuring we have reliable and predictable products and processes.
Job Ref: 2020/3/12
The Research & Development Specialist 1 role is responsible for two main workstreams:
- Support in design, execution, and analysis of trials for project workstreams in Kilifi
- Assist in troubleshooting technology-related issues in Operations.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Lead an assigned project workstream
- Lead elements of and input to project scope, timeline, budget and risk management plan
- Coordinate and deliver high-quality work packages to an agreed timeline (as set by project lead)
- Coordinate cross-functionally for the successful implementation of a work package
- Support stakeholder management through stakeholder engagement, interviews, presentations and updates
- Input to project learnings and evaluation documents
- Ensure assigned work package in the project plan is maintained and up to date with accurate data through frequent engagements with the project team (if applicable) and R&D Team Lead
- Inputs into near term planning Weekly Update Meeting with the Design team
- Requests resources or support where project progress is slowing or roadblocked
Product and process development
- Contributes ideas towards improving profitability and product quality in the assigned work area
Execution of trials
- Supports design of and leads execution and analysis of trials in technical workstreams
- Ensures relevant stakeholders are involved in trials, including preparation, execution, wind-down and communication of results
- Formulates trial protocols, reviewed by the project lead
- Coordinate trial execution, data collection, logistics, wind down and analysis
- Completes trial reports;
- Present findings in post-mortems as per the R&D WoW that draw sound conclusions and make clear recommendations
- Carry out pre-trial surveys as per the R&D WoW to proactively identify risks and opportunities with respect to answering research questions
- Use general analytical and statistical (quantitative and qualitative) approaches to analyze experimental data to arrive at logical conclusions making use of appropriate tools and procedures
Systems and processes
- Identifies and escalates issues in trial and R&D processes that reduce the quality of work and speed of execution
- Support RCAs focused on product issues in the work area
- Support Quality improvement projects in the work area
- Supports resolution of technology-related issues in facilities in the work area
- Actively interact with the Operations team to identify issues in production early for mitigation measures
- Initiate, attend and contribute to update discussions (with the project and team lead)
- Initiate feedback discussions with team lead & stakeholders
- Identify own professional development needs and seeks opportunities/executes agreed actions, including training, coaching, mentoring and workplace activities
- Initiate development discussions with team lead and skip level management
- Initiate and lead prioritization discussions
- Share subject matter knowledge with R&D team members by taking part in brain-storming sessions as requested
- Participates in team culture activities
Skills, Qualifications & Experience
- Degree in Biological Sciences
- Experience in research in biological/ life sciences
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office suite especially in Advanced Excel skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong time management, organizational, and prioritization skills
- Excellent communication skills on all levels
- Relentless desire to improve yourself, your team, and your organization;
- A collaborative mentality
- Able to work in hot environments
Required documents for Shortlisting
- KRA PIN
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Academic Transcripts and Academic Certificates
How to Apply
To apply, please CLICK HERE to submit a cover letter clearly indicating your available start state (include notice period) and your interest in this role, and your resume/CV that includes a list of three referees by 14th April 2020.
Kindly indicate your salary expectations. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.