Solidaridad East & Central Africa
Job Title: Project Manager
Duration: 1-year contract (extension based on performance)
Reporting line: Head of Programmes
Position level: Mid-level
Main objective of the function: Solidaridad is looking to recruit a Project Manager in the Kenya Office. The Project Manager is responsible for leading the participatory development, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and learning of the planned interventions in line with the project objectives.
Position in the Organization: The Project Manager reports to the Head of Programmes. The Project Manager coordinates people and processes to ensure that Solidaridad DMDP project is delivered on time and produce the desired results within scope and allocated resource envelope. S/he will also be expected to work closely with the national and regional programming team, as well as the regional innovation team.
- Review the project proposal, budget, targets, key performance indicators and ensure that the planning is realistic (Measurable, Reportable & Verifiable), both in terms of budget and implementation.
- Develop a detailed support yearly plan.
- Assist the partners to develop a plan in line with the required project objectives and deliverable.
- Support the team by providing longer-term vision, strategic direction and appropriate planning aligned with Solidaridad’s regional and global network business plan.
- Work with the concerned staff and partners to ensure effective implementation of the project.
- Review the Solidaridad support plan annually to ensure that this is realistic, both in terms of budget and overall project plan.
- Regularly review & track the project progress against milestones and take corrective action where required, raising issues with the concerned personnel as needed timely.
- Promote and maintain effective partnership with the partners and beneficiaries.
- Guide and lead the project team to achieve specific goals, objectives and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) of the project.
- Ensure that work is appropriately delegated and staff members are empowered to carry out tasks independently where appropriate matching their skills and capacity.
- Ensure efficient project management procedures are implemented to enable monitoring of projects and accurate reporting of progress.
- Ensure strict adherence to Solidaridad’s ethics, policy and pro-actively encourage transparency and openness in all activities.
- Ensure procurement and contracts are prepared and issued to Solidaridad’s standards and procedures/ in-country legal frameworks / partners’ requirements and are managed effectively.
- Financial and budget control of selected tasks and components and coordinating with the Solidaridad Regional Project Finance Manager regarding budget control and financial progress.
- Support the collection and accurate reporting of impact data related to the project as guided by the PMEL Manager.
- Networking with Government and non-Government Organizations, and Private Sectors
- Build strong relationships with the government authorities and arrange field visits and regular progress review meetings where necessary.
- Learn good practices from other organizations and reflect these in the project.
- Represent Solidaridad, building and maintaining relationships and partnerships with relevant service providers, government, national and international development partners, local stakeholders and communities, private sector and funder Partners representatives for effective implementation of projects.
- Contribute to public communication, strong and positive Solidaridad brand visibility and recognition, working closely with Country Manager and the Regional Communications Officer.
Project Monitoring and Reporting
- Pay regular field visit to intervention areas to observe progress, with a focus on ensuring ‘quality’.
- Prepare project progress reports (Monthly and Quarterly) based on a structured M&E framework including a review on financial report and provide necessary feedback.
- Ensure quality monitoring data collection from the field and timely reporting.
- Supervise the staff directly report to you.
- Assist for Recruitment of Project Staff (as and when required)
Coaching & mentoring
- Staff Development: develop plans for capacity-building of the project team to enable the team to be more self-standing in the future.
- Support effective communications and joint working within the team and with other teams across the organization.
Fundraising & Other Ad-hoc Tasks
- Identify and discuss with the Country Manager and Regional BD Manager any potential future funding opportunities which present themselves in-country / location and provide advice on their suitability and potential alignment with the Solidaridad strategic direction.
- Initiate and participate in developing funding proposals.
- Be cognizant of the wider implications of the project, working effectively with other Solidaridad functions in-country and sometimes at REC level: Finance, Quality team, the Innovation team as appropriate.
Knowledge and Experience
- Relevant academic level education; Master degree in a relevant field (Agriculture, rural development, Social Science, Management, Business Administration, international development, Project Management etc.).
- At least five (5) years’ experience in managing projects funded by international agencies or development partners.
- At least three (3) years’ experience in a management position with international organizations.
- Demonstrate experience in the agriculture value chain in either coffee, tea and horticulture or all.
- An understanding of the policy environment, issues and stakeholders in the agriculture and/or agribusiness sector in East and Central Africa.
- Experience setting up new projects and programmes.
- Track record of delivering project goals within deadlines and budgets across public and private sectors and with NGOs.
- Demonstrable track record of effectively building and sustaining key external and internal relationships at community, utility and governmental levels to realize project goals.
- Leading and managing project teams of stakeholders including staff.
- Experience of setting and managing project budgets.
Specific Job Requirements
- Ability to work independently and lead diverse multi-disciplinary team; stakeholder management skills.
- Project management skills including strategy, planning, setting objectives and planning to meet those objectives, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, budgeting, financial management and sustainability.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to define new projects, establish overall scope and budget able to influence at senior management level, take a strategic outlook and to manage change where necessary empowering project staff and others to strengthen their capacity and capability through mentoring and coaching.
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills, able to work well under pressure both proactively and prioritize a challenging workload.
- Good communication skills; able to communicate complex concepts in a clear and concise way to non-technical managers both in writing and verbally and to provide professional advice with confidence and tact.
- Motivating and developing teams, including performance management and appraisals.
- Collaborative approach to partnership working in a cross-cultural context; a team player, with strong problem-solving ability.
- Able to carry out regular in-country (and potentially) international visits and to deliver effective presentations.
- Experience in designing and implementing certification programs.
- Demonstrate experience in proposal development.
- Demonstrate experience in a similar position.
How to Apply
Interested candidates that meet the above qualifications should send their cover letter, CVs and salary expectation to:
Subject: “Project Manager – Kenya Office”
The CVs will be evaluated as they are received only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing Date: 6th May 2020