Job Description: Logistics & Operations Officer – IGNITE Project
Organization Description: Tanager is an international nonprofit that connects smallholder producers and private businesses to co-create new ways of realizing life-changing economic and social opportunity.
Our process builds on years of technical expertise, on-the-ground presence and public/private partnerships to unite economic growth with social innovation.
Together, we are ushering in an era of equitable market systems that combine profitability with the power to address urgent challenges in poverty, malnutrition, and gender inequity.
Tanager provides a full range of services to co-create healthy markets that benefit all participants:
- Connect: Tanager connects people and partners to bridge stakeholder divides, expand market access, and unlock the full potential of shared market opportunities. We bring the right people to the table and make sure every voice is heard, linking smallholder producers to major consumer brands and everyone in between.
- Analyze: Tanager combines technical expertise and business perspective to assess markets, analyze supply chains, and pilot new technologies and tools. We test promising business models and shed light on issues critical to market success. We advance research vital to emerging economies. Our analytical approach helps us identify variables early on, which saves time and money in the long run.
- Implement: Tanager is a flexible implementing partner with a track record of delivering results in complex, dynamic environments. We drive ambitious initiatives to the finish line with a clear roadmap and the right resources at the right time and place. Our global expertise and on-the-ground presence brings last-mile experience crucial to sustainable market solutions. Clients know they can count on us to keep our word and see things through.
People & Values
It takes bold hearts and resourceful minds to change the world. Our mission attracts high-caliber professionals who are dedicated to the work we do and the way we do it. We take risks, roll up our sleeves, and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We listen, learn, and adapt rapidly, without losing sight of our end goal or the momentum needed to reach it.
We are a networked team that supports each other. We live our mission and exhibit and embrace the following values:
- Make choices using sound thinking, intelligence, and experience.
- Be honest and ethical in everything you do and say.
- Set high standards and learn from your mistakes to continually improve.
- Trust your teammates’ capabilities and intentions.
- Strive to achieve equilibrium in all you do.
- Exercise perspective and prioritize what is important.
- Align the interests, expectations, and needs of those we work with.
- Balance seriousness with humor and levity, and our work with our personal lives.
- ConnectionBuild strong connections with our partners and communities to achieve results.
- Work as a team with everyone at the table and reach out for input as well as advice.
- Measure success, not by the boxes we tick, but by the real difference you make in people’s lives.
- Ask, evaluate, innovate, and apply to deliver the best results for all.
- Be agile, efficient, and adaptable in your relationships, processes and work.
- Take what we’ve learned and adapt to each new situation.
Project Description: The Impacting Gender & Nutrition through Innovative Technical Exchange in Agriculture (IGNITE) mechanism is a five-year investment funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and implemented by Tanager to improve household nutrition and women’s empowerment by strengthening African institutions’ ability to integrate nutrition and gender into their way of doing business and their agriculture interventions.
IGNITE will work with African institutions to design, implement, and evaluate nutrition-sensitive and gender-integrated agriculture interventions. IGNITE will also strengthen the ability of African institutions to incorporate nutrition and gender equality into their policy priorities and business practices—their way of doing business.
Based on the interventions implemented by IGNITE clients, IGNITE will identify key mechanisms and drivers of demand for the scale up and replication of nutrition-sensitive and gender-integrated interventions. IGNITE activities will be targeted in Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Tanzania. Potential clients include NGOs, private sector companies, and government bodies working in agriculture.
Position Summary: Tanager is seeking an logistics and operations officer based in their office in Nairobi, Kenya, to provide logistical and administrative support required for the fulfillment of deliverables under the IGNITE project. This role will also ensure compliance with all relevant regulations in Kenya.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Provide logistical and administrative support to Team Leader, Technical Staff, and Consultants in undertaking and managing client assignments
- Support IGNITE technical staff in managing logistics of concurrent client assignments.
- Oversee and manage the arrangement of travel and accommodation for staff and consultants, including booking hotels, organizing meetings, arranging air and ground travel; tracking messages and communication; and maintaining contact with staff during travel.
- Facilitate visas and work permits for staff and consultants.
- Monitor security alerts related to staff and consultant travel; advise Team Leader as appropriate on necessary precautions to be taken.
- Provide logistical support for events, conferences, and workshops including arranging refreshments and venues
Manage day-to-day office operations
- Develop and implement administrative workflows, procedures, and standard quality controls. Implement office support procedures and recommend changes as required.
- Maintain office management systems including tracking and coordinating renewals of office lease, utility and service contracts, and other 3rd party contracts.
- Ensure adequate stock of office supplies. Oversee maintenance of office equipment such as photocopiers and scanners and ensure repairs are made in a timely fashion.
- Oversee the cleaning, maintenance, and repair of facilities including electricity supply, water, and plumbing.
- Supervise the office assistant and office administrator
Oversee procurement of project- and office-related materials to ensure effective delivery of activities and services
- Ensure that the procurement process is systematic, transparent, and compliant, in line with Tanager Procurement Policy.
- Work with the Accountant to ensure that procurements, contracts, and purchase orders represent best value for money and in line with project budget.
- Ensure timely processing of purchase requests.
- Ensure all procurement documentation is uploaded to SharePoint within 30 days of finalization.
- Manage relevant SharePoint repository pages and act as a SharePoint champion for the Kenya office. Provide backstopping support for staff on optimizing SharePoint and other related Microsoft resources like OneDrive, teams, OneNote etc
- Establish an effective inventory system. Maintain equipment and furniture inventory list, including location of all assets. Physically verify existence of all inventories on a semi-annual basis.
Support Team Leader in managing staff administrative and compliance aspects.
- Ensure adherence to local and other corporate applicable policies, procedures, and schedules. This will include the NGO board regulations and procedures, local licenses and permits among others.
- Ensure incidents involving staff and/or property are reported. Provide Team Leader with comprehensive understanding of Tanager’s liability and recommend actions to be taken to limit risk to the project and organization.
- Coordinate staff motivation activities like team building among others
- Support onboarding of new staff
Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, management, or related field.
- Minimum of six (6) years of progressive work experience in office management, administration, procurement and/or facilities management or equivalent including minimum of two (2) years of supervising staff.
- Outstanding organizational skills including the ability to multitask and work well under pressure in a fast-paced small team environment and the ability to respond rapidly to changing environments. Strong planning skills.
- Good administrative, record keeping, and filing systems skills.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and sound judgment. Proven ability to make timely and sound decisions based on accurate judgment.
- Excellent oral communications skills.
- Strong written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to write required documents in a clear, concise, well-organized manner.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and lead the work of others in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressures. Strong mentoring and teambuilding skills.
- Advanced computer skills in a Windows based environment including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel. As well as other Microsoft working platforms like SharePoint, OneDrive among others.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Professional proficiency in English required.
To apply please fill in the attached application form HERE, attach your CV and motivation letter and send it to KenyaRecruitment@tanagerintl.org by COB Friday 8th May 2020.
The position will be filled on a rolling basis