ACDI / VOCA – Expanding Opportunities Worldwide
Job Title: Finance and Grants Specialist
Project: Resilience Learning Activity
Reports To: LMS Finance Director
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Overview of Resilience Learning Activity: The Resilience Learning Activity (RLA), USAID / Kenya and East Africa flagship learning award was fully executed effective October 1, 2019. It supports regional and country-level institutions to conduct and act upon resilience learning for key knowledge gaps in the Horn of Africa, contributing to the region’s Journey to Self-Reliance.
By building the capacity of institutions to improve analytical capacity, increase the evidence base for resilience programming, and strengthen Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) systems and networks, RLA will contribute to the Horn of Africa Resilience Network (HoRN)’s objective to strengthen regional and cross-border collaboration and improve evidence-based learning.
Job Summary: The Finance and Grants Specialist will report directly to the LMS Finance Director, with a dotted reporting line to the RLA Chief of Party, and work with necessary guidance of the LMS Grants Director. The position will be based in RLA’s office in Nairobi with eventual travel to the field.
He/She will be responsible for the overall management and implementation of grants under RLA, which would be focused on supporting the activity’s objectives:
- Increased analytic capacity for local and host country organizations
- Facilitated learning for adaptive management by local and host country organizations
- Improved knowledge management and strategic communications for local and host organizations
- Systems and network for CLA established and strengthened
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the grant processes (from solicitation to close out) and propose revisions as needed based upon experience and lessons learned.
- Coordinate/input and analysis of grants data to the ACDI/VOCA’s SubAward Management System (SAMS) for managing grants while assuring integrity of data.
- Conduct regular internal reviews/spot-checks of grantee files to ensure they are complete and up to date.
- In liaison with the Finance Director and with the Grants Director provide training to staff and other relevant stakeholders on grant management.
- Coordinate with the technical team to identify potential technical areas of investment, eligibility, and evaluation criteria for anticipated investments and prepare solicitation documents and competition plans.
- Manage the solicitation process including the dissemination, application and evaluation process for grants and ensure that the application process is clearly understood by all stakeholders.
- Coordinate and conduct pre-award assessments, evaluate environmental requirements (if any), and document negotiation processes for all prospective grantees.
- Work closely with the M&E team in developing individual M&E plans for grantees to ensure they are contributing to specific indicators and outcomes
- Coordinate the preparation and approval of grant award documents including modifications to ACDI/VOCA Headquarters and USAID.
Post-Award / Implementation
- Conduct kick-off meetings and trainings for grantees related to grants administration, applicable donor regulations and reporting requirements in liaison with the relevant technical teams.
- Coordinate the processing of financial reports/payments, and the technical review and acceptance of milestones/deliverables as relevant.
- Review grantees invoices to ensure the reported expenses to ensure financial compliance against approved grantee budget before payment, and work with grantees on adjusting them as necessary.
- Ensure grants transactions are properly captured in the Accounting system and prepare monthly grants financial status reports for management decision making.
- Ensure grants disbursements are processed promptly after approval.
- Facilitate grantees audit by ensuring Auditors are provided with all documentations .
- Conduct grantee site visits as appropriate including financial monitoring of grants to ensure proper accounting of grant funds awarded
- Maintain complete and accurate files for all sub-grant agreements.
- Continuously update SAMS records
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all correspondence and notifications to grant applicants and grantees.
- Coordinate the close-out of grants according to ACDI/VOCA’s Grants Manual
- Support the Technical Leads on the preparation of monthly and quarterly reports for grant activities under RLA that feed into the overall program report
- Provide weekly grant updates as needed and/or requested by USAID
- Identify and forward grants results information and success stories to relevant staff and external audiences through management and communications channels as directed by RLA COP
- Ensure that grant activities comply with ACDI/VOCA internal policies and procedures, and USAID rules and regulations.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the program’s annual work plans.
- Any other duties as may be assigned
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, finance, economics, or relevant field
- At least CPA Part III and accounting experience with international NGO.
- Five years of related experience in grants, subcontracts, finance/accounting, and compliance with donor regulations, USAID preferably.
- Demonstrated experience applying clauses and negotiating without heavy management oversight including developing amendments and modifications as a result of negotiations
- Experience providing capacity-building training to local organizations
- Experience working in Kenya resilience development programs is preferred.
- Ability to communicate technical, budgetary and program details to staff, grantees and applicants
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume to HRKenya@acdivoca.org no later than May 21, 2020.
In the subject line, please include the position title.
Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer.
Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.