Deutsche Stiftung Weltbevölkerung (DSW)
Terms of Reference (TOR) for Illustrator
About DSW Kenya
Deutsche Stiftung Weltbevölkerung (DSW) is a global development organisation that focuses on the needs and potential of the largest youth generation in history.
We are committed to creating demand for and access to sexual and reproductive health information, services, supplies, and economic empowerment for young people.
We achieve this by engaging in advocacy, capacity development, and reproductive health initiatives and empowering young people to lead healthy and self-determined lives.
DSW Kenya was established in May 2000 in Nairobi. It has additional offices in Mombasa and Kitale with active programme interventions in 16 counties: Bungoma, Embu, Busia, Kakamega, Kilifi, Kwale, Laikipia, Meru, Mombasa, Nairobi, Nakuru, Nandi, Nyandarua, Trans Nzoia, Uasin Gishu, and West Pokot.
DSW Kenya seeks to engage a professional graphic artist / illustrator who can deliver three high quality, simple and creative designs/illustrations/visualisations depicting violence against girls and women and prevention of violence against girls and women.
Graphics Illustrator / Designers will claim no proprietorial ownership or copyright of the illustrations/designs.
Scope of Work
Develop three high quality, creative and clear illustrations suitable for conveying information and representing ideas so they are easily understood by target groups.
- Work in close consultation with the Communications team at DSW Kenya;
- Work from the DSW Kenya office or own convenient location and submit deliverables through email as requested and on time.
- Be willing to modify, edit, or totally change illustrations as per feedback provided.
- Submit full colour, high resolution and editable versions of illustrations and designs in layered Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and PDF documents.
- Creatively done illustrations that are of the highest artistic quality.
- Persuasive designs that are easily appreciated and retainable by the target audience persuading them to undertake the communicated message Language, geographical landmarks etc.
- Comprehensively executed illustrations that are clearly understandable by the target population.
- Appropriate illustrations that are appealing and respectful to the culture of the country, gender sensitive, and considerate of targets with different backgrounds in different geographic settings.
Knowledge and competencies
- Post-secondary education in a relevant discipline (Journalism, Mass Communication or Marketing, Arts, or similar)
- Over five years of work experience designing various print and digital materials, developing illustrations.
- The designer must be proficient in the use of graphics applications such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Good understanding of new and evolving technologies and digital platforms.
- Good communication skills.
The contract will be for 30 days effective from date of signing
- 50% at the first drafts (3 illustrations) are submitted for review
- 50% upon submission and approval of final drafts (3 illustrations) and all editable versions of illustrations and designs in layered Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and PDF documents are submitted.
Interested applicants are requested to submit a bid for this assignment with the reference “Illustrator” clearly indicated in the email subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for application: May, 27 2020.