Health Strat is an indigenous public health organization specializing in designing and implementing innovative health systems solutions.
Health Strat implements donor funded programs in HIV/TB/RMNCAH/FP at both national and county levels.
We are inviting applications from experienced and qualified individuals for the below key positions for an anticipated USAID-funded HIV service delivery project in Kenya.
These positions will be based in Nairobi, Coast and Western regions of Kenya.
Recruitment and selection of the final applicants is subject to USAID approval.
Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) Advisor
Role & Purpose: Reporting to the Chief of Party (COP) the HSS Advisor, will be the technical lead responsible for the result areas: Strengthened County Health Systems, specifically Governance and Strategic Planning, Health Products and Technology/Commodities, Human Resources for Health (HRH), Strategic Monitoring and Evaluation and Referral Systems. This position ensures a seamless link between service delivery interventions and county capacity and systems development.
He/she will be knowledgeable with the issues around devolution and the functions and organization of the county government, particularly the county health management teams and their capacity gaps. He/she will advise the COP and the project team on HSS matters related to the project and manage staff in this respect. He/she will work closely with county officials.
- Provide overall project leadership on the development of Health System Strengthening implementation policies, strategies and operational frameworks, linked closely to Health System Strengthening activities at planning, and implementation level.
- Oversee the work of technical leads, to ensure Health System Strengthening is incorporated into all project technical support guidelines, tools and implementation activities.
- Work specifically with the Ministry of Health, County and Sub-County Health Management Teams, to ensure Health System Strengthening is implemented in supported Counties. These include strengthening Governance, Leadership, and Human Resources for Health, Health Products and Technologies
- Identify best practices and the conditions under which existing resources are most effectively used to improve performance of health systems.
- Provide oversight and assistance in achieving HSS technical and operational deliverables.
- Represent the project as HSS technical expert in meetings with donors and partners and participate in technical working group meetings at the National and County level.
- Work with County Health Executives to develop strategic and annual operational plans to facilitate government funding and support.
- Participate in drafting, reviewing and approving scopes of work and other HSS related technical documents as they relate to project activities.
- Work with M&E Director to set up a robust database that showcases Health System Strengthening activities
- Take lead in development of Health System Strengthening related technical briefs, monographs, success stories as part of capacity building and contractual reporting.
Minimum Academic Qualifications:
- Minimum Master’s degree in Health Policy, Health Administration, Health Economics, Health System Management, Public Health or related field.
Experience & Skills
- Minimum of seven years of relevant, senior-level professional experience managing and implementing health systems strengthening programs in the areas listed above with a minimum of (5) years’ experience in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Minimum of five years demonstrated experience in managing and supervising a team and project design.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government representatives, for-profit private sector entities, local community organizations, donors and other stakeholders, particularly at the sub-national level.
- Proven ability to manage, motivate and mentor staff at all levels and create a positive team environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the health context and structural issues in Kenya including socioeconomic, institutional and policy issues that are related to essential services in population, health, and nutrition.
- Strong presentation skills including the ability to present and undertake high-level policy dialogue with USAID, Counties and other key stakeholders.
- Expert computer skills in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Professional level of oral and written fluency in English.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CVs to email@example.com by May 27, 2020.
Candidates are required to indicate the position title & the location of interest on the subject line of the email when applying e.g. “Chief of Party, Nairobi Region”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.