Kenya Maritime Authority ¡s a State Corporation whose mandate is to regulate, co-ordinate and oversee maritime affairs guided by the Kenya Maritime Authority Act, No. 5 of 2006 and the Merchant Shipping Act 2009.
The Authority invites suitable candidates to fill the following position:
Job Title: Head of Maritime Safety
Grade: KMAG 2
Corporation: Kenya Maritime Authority
Department: Maritime Safety
Location / Work Station: KMA Head Office, Mombasa
Reports to: Director General
- Registrar of ships, Registrar of seafarers,
- Chief Marine Surveyor, Chief receiver of wrecks, Manager, RMRCC
- All other Maritime Safety Department staff
Job Purpose: Responsible for the implementation of the provisions of the Merchant Shipping Act, KMA Act , relevant national legislation/policies/directives and International Conventions, in relation to maritime safety, security and protection of the marine environment
Key Responsibilities / Duties / Tasks
I. Managerial / Supervisory Responsibilities
1) Overseeing the implementation of international requirements through development of a national framework to ensure maritime safety in Kenyan waters.
2) Liaising with maritime organizations/institutions such as IACS, IMO and ILO on matters of common interest;
3) Protection of marine environment.
4) Coordinate search and rescue services
5) Development and implementation of Maritime Safety standards
6) Registration of vessels and seafarers
7) Ensure standardised Maritime Education and Training in Kenya
8) Overseeing the Receipt of wrecks and matters related to marine casualties
9) Effective and efficient management of human resource in the directorate
10) Preparation and submission of monthly, quarterly and annual reports for the department
11) Preparation and submission of reports required by international maritime organisation including IMO Member State Audit Scheme (IMSAS)
12) Update and revise any relevant policies adopted, as necessary in the maritime department
II. Operational Responsibilities / Tasks
1. To advise the Director General on maritime safety, security and marine environment issues
2. Responding to enquiries on various matters from ship-owners, seafarers, Government Agencies and individuals on maritime affairs;
3. Ensuring the departmental activities align to the Authority’s strategic plan
4. Implementing the Authority’s resolutions in matters pertaining to maritime safety, security and environmental protection;
5. To liaise with recognized maritime organizations and ship owners/managers in order to ensure effective implementation of international standards and carry out such investigations, audits, or inspections as deemed necessary.
6. Prepare draft Board and management papers for approval
7. Participate in the recruitment of staff within the department
8. Participate in the development and review of the Authority’s strategic plan
9. Respond to enquiries on various matters from ship-owners, seafarers, Ministry of Transport, Government Agencies and individuals in maritime industry;
10. Visit and inspect ships that may have defects/problems; and
11. Participate in various committees in the Authority as a member
I. Financial Responsibility
a) Preparation and management of departmental budget
b) Ensuring revenue collection emanating from the departmental activities
II. Responsibility for Physical Assets
Responsible for assets assigned by the Authority
III. Decision Making / Job Influence
1. Makes technical, operational and financial decisions
2. Responsible for detentions and exemptions of ships calling Kenyan ports
3. Participates in international maritime convention development and negotiations
4. Plan and assign duties to departmental managers
5. Monitors managers’ work performance
6. Appraises/evaluates managers’ performance
IV. Working Conditions
- Office environment, but may visit port facilities, shipyards and board ships
- Highly demanding
- May need to work long hours
- Interacts a lot with stakeholders, both locally and internationally
Job Competencies (Knowledge, Experience and Attributes / Skills)
- A Bachelor’s Degree in any of the following; Nautical Science/ Marine Engineering/ Mechanical Engineering/ Naval Architecture or equivalent from a recognized institution;
- Master Degree in any of the following; Maritime Affairs/ Nautical Science/ Marine Engineering/ Naval Architecture or equivalent qualifications from a recognized institution will be an added advantage;
Professional Qualifications / Membership to professional bodies
1. Unlimited Certificate of Competency as a Chief Engineer issued in accordance with the 1978 STCW Convention; or
2. Unlimited Certificate of Competency as a Master issued in accordance with the 1978 STCW Convention, as amended.
Previous relevant work experience required.
At least ten (10) years work experience in Ship construction or ship technical operation or ship survey, five (5) of which must be in a senior management position.
a) Diplomatic skills
b) Communication Skills
c) Computer proficiency
d) Analytical skills
Behavioral Competencies / Attributes:
a) Leadership Skills
b) Interpersonal skills
c) Time management skills
How to Apply
The candidates to be selected must adhere io the provisions of Chapter VI on Leadership and Integrity as enshrined in the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
Interested candidates must submit certificates of compliance from the Kenya Revenue Authority, the Credit Reference Bureau, the Higher Education Loans Board and a Certificate of Good Conduct from the Criminal Investigations Department.
Prospective candidates should send soft copy applications enclosing detailed curriculum vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates.
Applicants should indicate the position applied for in the application email subject matter.
KMA is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender equity and diversity.
Qualified persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Note that canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Applications should be addressed to:
The Director General
Kenya Maritime Authority
P.O. Box 95076- 80104
Applications should be done in soft copy and sent to email@example.com not later than 1st June, 2020.
Full details of the advertisement can be accessed in the KMA website – www.kma.go.ke