Kenya Maritime Authority is a State Corporation whose mandate is to regulate, co-ordinate and oversee maritime affairs guided by the Kenya Maritime Authority Act, No. 5 of 2006 and the Merchant Shipping Act 2009.
The Authority invites suitable candidates to fill the following position:
Job Title: Procurement Manager
Grade: KMAG 3
Corporation: Kenya Maritime Authority
Location / Work Station: KMA head office, Mombasa
Reports to: Director General
Direct Reports: Procurement Officer
Indirect Reports: All other supply chain management staff
Job Purpose: Responsible for effective and efficient procurement of goods, services and works as well as disposal of assets in accordance with Public Procurement and Asset Disposal Act 2015.
Key Responsibilities/ Duties / Tasks
I. Managerial / Supervisory Responsibilities
1. Establishing and updating Authority’s procurement policies and procedures;
2. Ensuring competitive bidding procedures, administration of contracts and negotiations are efficiently performed;
3. Training user departments on procurement procedures;
4. To advise the Director General on Procurement issues;
5. Preparation and implementation of the procurement plan.
6. Consolidation and implementation of procurement budget;
7. Effective and efficient management of human resource in the department
II. Operational Responsibilities / Tasks
1. Preparing and maintaining all procurement records;
2. Ensuring efficiency in inventory management;
3. Efficiency in provision of goods, services and works;
4. Being the secretary to the procurement committee;
5. Monitoring contract management by user departments to ensure implementation of contracts as per the terms and conditions of contract;
6. Ensuring adherence to the Public Procurement and Asset Disposal Act 2015
7. Participate in various committees in the Authority
8. Coordinating disposal activities in the Authority;
9. Preparing contract documents for goods, works and services;
10. Custodian of contract documents;
11. Liaising with the user department to ensure effective implementation of contracts for goods, works and services;
12. Providing secretariat to committees’ incidental to procurement of goods and services, and disposal of assets;
13. Advise on appointment of competent members to committees stipulated in Public Procurement and Asset Disposal Act 2015;
14. Providing professional advice on procurement of goods, works and services and disposal of assets;
15. Preparing statutory reports to PPRA; and
16. Reviewing procurement needs of the Authority.
I. Financial Responsibility
- Preparation, rationalisation and coordination of budget estimates from user departments.
- Preparing the Authority’s procurement plan
- Ensure implementation of the procurement plan
II. Responsibility for Physical Assets
Responsible for physical assets assigned by the Authority
III. Decision Making / Job Influence
- Makes technical, operational and financial decisions
- Responsible of the store’s inventory
- Plan and assign duties to procurement officers
- Monitor officers’ work performance
- Appraises/evaluates performance
IV. Working Conditions
- Office environment
- Highly demanding
- Interacts a lot with stakeholders, both locally and internationally
Job Competencies (Knowledge, Experience and Attributes / Skills)
- Bachelors Degree in Commerce / Procurement and Supplies Management, or equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
- Masters Degree in Supply Chain Management / logistics or equivalent qualification from a recognized institution will be an added advantage;
Professional Qualifications / Membership to professional bodies
- Relevant Professional qualification – KISM, CIPS
- Diploma in Supplies Management or its equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
- Proficiency in computer applications
- Previous relevant work experience required.
- 3 years experience in the relevant profession at middle management level
- Excellent management skills
- Excellent organizational skills and highly confident
- Ability to work under pressure
Behavioral Competencies / Attributes:
- Leadership Skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Time management skills
How to Apply
The candidates to be selected must adhere io the provisions of Chapter VI on Leadership and Integrity as enshrined in the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
Interested candidates must submit certificates of compliance from the Kenya Revenue Authority, the Credit Reference Bureau, the Higher Education Loans Board and a Certificate of Good Conduct from the Criminal Investigations Department.
Prospective candidates should send soft copy applications enclosing detailed curriculum vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates.
Applicants should indicate the position applied for in the application email subject matter.
KMA is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender equity and diversity.
Qualified persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Note that canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Applications should be addressed to:
The Director General
Kenya Maritime Authority
P.O. Box 95076- 80104
Applications should be done in soft copy and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 1st June, 2020.
Full details of the advertisement can be accessed in the KMA website – www.kma.go.ke