Kenya Markets Trust is a Kenyan non-governmental organisation that works in partnership with the private sector; non-governmental organisations; county and national governments; associations and other local and International partners to unleash large scale, sustainable market growth by changing the underlying incentives, capacities and rules that shape how market systems work.
KMT is currently working in three sectors – agricultural inputs, livestock and water – and implements some work in these sectors internally and some through local partners.
Our working funds/revenue comes from donors and foundations (for more information on KMT visit www.kenyamarkets.org).
We are seeking to fill the following position:
INTERVENTION SPECIALIST – WATER
Reporting to the Sector Manager – Water, the incumbent will work to build strong relationships with businesses, water utilities and government partners across the country. S/he will also contribute to driving sector transformation by developing and implementing innovative interventions.
- Manage day-to-day relationships with selected water utilities, national and county governments and other private sector actors.
- Design innovative interventions that would facilitate change among targeted market actors.
- Support selected market actors to improve its commercial, financial and technical competencies.
- Support the team to design interventions that would mainstream resilience, competitiveness and inclusiveness in business operations.
- Contribute to internal learning and knowledge management processes, including regular performance monitoring, programme reviews and evaluations.
- Collect, analyse, interpret and compile reports that communicate gaps in market actors’ practices.
- Prepare briefs for selected market actors, including expected results and milestones and subsequently monitor their performance and results.
- Manage assigned technical interventions to improve the performance of selected market actors.
- Identify opportunities for innovation and new areas for developing market systems approaches and tools.
- Collect basic data to support situation analysis and for preparing briefs to the Sector Managers with recommendations for in-depth Policy or research work.
- A degree in economics, water engineering, social sciences or related field.
- At least 5 years’ working experience in the commercial sector and/or economic development or management consultancy. Experience gained in the water sector environment would be an added advantage.
- Good commercial acumen – appreciation of budgeting and financial management.
- Good analytical and critical thinking skills, problem-solving, judgment and decisionmaking skills and the ability to monitor and explain trends and variances.
- Excellent writing skills and strong reporting and presentation skills, with the ability to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner, for different purposes and across multiple audiences.
- Strong relationship management skills, with the ability to engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
- Good negotiation and persuasion skills with the ability to influence people positively
- Able to work both independently, efficiently and effectively as well as in collaboration with people at various levels and from different backgrounds.
- Intermediate level proficiency in MS Office applications i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project, Outlook and statistical packages.
How to Apply
If you meet the above qualifications, please apply by sending your CV with a cover letter indicating names of three (3) referees to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate position reference number in the subject line.
Deadline for receiving applications is May 29, 2020.
Only shortlisted Candidates will be contacted.