Kenya Markets Trust is a Kenyan non-governmental organisation that works in partnership with the private sector; non-governmental organisations; county and national governments; associations and other local and International partners to unleash large scale, sustainable market growth by changing the underlying incentives, capacities and rules that shape how market systems work.
KMT is currently working in three sectors – agricultural inputs, livestock and water – and implements some work in these sectors internally and some through local partners. Our working funds/revenue comes from donors and foundations (for more information on KMT visit www.kenyamarkets.org).
We are seeking to fill the following position:
SECTOR MANAGER – WATER
Reporting to the Head of Programmes, the incumbent will provide technical direction and enhance collaborative working relationships with national and county level partners, develop and maintain strategic partnerships for the achievement of sector objectives.
S/he will provide strategic leadership to the water sector team and drive successful programme implementation in compliance with the statutory, organisational, donor or other requirements of KMT.
- Working with the Head of Programmes, set the strategic direction and overall approach for KMT’s water sector implementation work.
- Provide technical leadership in the development and implementation of high-quality interventions and concept notes to achieve water sector objectives.
- Drive effective implementation of the water sector work through a results-based management process that is aligned with KMT’s long- term objectives in the sector.
- Report the progress of the water sector to the Head of Programmes on a monthly basis or more frequently as required and participate in portfolio reporting to the Board and funders on a quarterly basis.
- Lead identification, assessment and engagement of strategic water sector partners and market actors
- Oversee the grants and partnership management implementation, enforcement and compliance to all contractual requirements of the sector
- Oversee the design and implementation of the monitoring and evaluation plan and lead on the use of information generated to ensure that it is usefully deployed to inform further project implementation
- Ensure quality control on reports and briefs prepared by Intervention Specialists before submission.
- Lead, manage, motivate and develop the water sector team by promoting a culture of trust based on personal integrity, openness within the team, encouraging their commitment to KMT’s objectives and meeting their personal development needs.
- Lead development of water sector annual budgets and work plans. Review all project financial reports to enhance proper and efficient utilization of sector funds, against planned activities/expenditure plans
- Assume fiscal accountability for the sector budget and ensure the financial management of the water sector programme is compliant with KMT’s requirements.
- Set KPIs for staff, always aligning with the organisational and sector objectives and conduct performance management evaluations in a timely manner to ensure superior levels of performance are maintained.
- Participate in the development and continuous review of the water sector strategy and development and implementation of the water component of the Annual Operating Plan.
- Work closely with the other functions within KMT to progress the broader strategic objectives of the organization.
Key Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in International Development, Strategy, Business Management, Engineering, Marketing, Economics or any other relevant field.
- At least 7 years’ relevant experience in development work, with at least 3 years gained at management level providing technical leadership in the water sector with multiple stakeholders and multi-layered teams.
- Demonstrable experience in initiating and managing effective partnerships with government, private sector and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated track record and experience in managing projects related to Water and policy influencing.
- Demonstrable experience in a technical team leadership role on development programmes, preferably with a specific focus on market development, private sector development, or value chain improvements.
- Experience in implementing market-based solutions within large-scale sector development programmes to enhance competitiveness of sectors.
- Strong relationship management skills and capacity to influence at multiple levels across national and county governments and the donor/funding community.
- Good people management experience, provide coaching and mentoring, and coordinate staff and contract partners in a consultative and collegiate decision-making style.
- Experience of influencing senior level public and private sector decision makers and communicating to a variety of audiences and media.
How to Apply
If you meet the above qualifications, please apply by sending your CV with a cover letter indicating names of three (3) referees to email@example.com.
Please indicate position reference number in the subject line.
Deadline for receiving applications is May 29, 2020.
Only shortlisted Candidates will be contacted.