The M-PESA Foundation Academy is seeking to recruit a dynamic and visionary individual with exceptional skills in the following capacity:
Head of Student Life
The MPESA Foundation Academy is established on a modern campus of 75 acres, 45 kilometres outside Nairobi.
The state-of-the-art academy is presently offering the Kenyan Secondary Education curriculum whilst transitioning to the International Baccalaureate as a candidate school with a view to offer the IB Career-related Program by September 2020 and both the IB Diploma Program and Middle Years Program by September 2021 with an aim to become an IB World School.
The Academy is driven by leadership, entrepreneurship, technology and innovation and serves talented, economically disadvantaged students with demonstrated leadership potential.
The Academy offers a world class, well-rounded learning environment to develop future leaders.
It places great emphasis on the holistic development of learners not just ¡n academics but also in technology, music, sports, the arts, outdoor pursuits and community service.
Learners are exposed to the latest technology as part of the day-to-day teaching and the school prides itself in moulding future leaders and entrepreneurs for Kenya and the continent of Africa.
Head of Student Life
The Head of Student Life is responsible for overseeing and managing Student Life activities within the Academy as planned for the programs of extra-curricular activities, student wellbeing, and boarding life.
- In line with the vision and mission of the Academy, the HoSL will design and implement objectives and initiatives for the strategic development of the Student Life department
- To write, develop, and implement policies relevant to Student Life procedures and processes and monitor compliance of subordinates.
- To keep up to date with legislation, guidance, and updates to rules and best practice aligned to Ministry of education/TSC guidelines
- To be a teaching member of Faculty (approximately 4 hours teaching per week)
Operational – extra-curricular program
- Along with the Head of Academics, to lead in the design and delivery of the student orientation programs within the Academy
- To design, develop and expand the extra-curricular programs and events available to students
- To coordinate special events at the Academy where student participation is needed e.g., Anniversaries, Form one welcoming party, closing assemblies, Talent shows, etc.
- To take a lead role in the Teaching & Learning Senior Management Team
Operational – student well-being
- Liaise between student issues and counseling team to further develop programs to help the student in their overall experience as needs change
- A member of student Discipline Committee
- To liaise with Faculty staff to regularly review the student code of conduct and to familiarise the residential team on the Behaviour for Learning policy to ensure its exercise within the boarding life of students
- Provide support and guidance to the Student Council and other student groups/clubs as and when needed.
- To lead the Counselling Department to monitor student issues and safeguarding concerns and keep the DTL regularly updated of current student issues
- To lead and manage the Clinic and its staff Operational – Boarding life to monitor student issues and safeguarding concerns and keep the DTL regularly updated of current student issues
- Along with the Head of Academics, to lead an effective and efficient collaboration between Student Life and Faculty.
- To oversee the collate the annual Student Life calendar in a timely manner in collaboration with Faculty department and communicate the same with students and the entire staff body
- To oversee and develop a strong Residential Life program thereby developing a co-curricular, living/learning community in the Residence
- Offer guidance on emergency or crisis situations appropriately as they arise or escalated for immediate attention
- In collaboration with Head of Academics, administers Academy-wide co-curriculum events, including the forecasting, planning, developing, promoting, and evaluation of programs and services that are focused on providing a diverse student body with opportunities for personal growth and leadership development
- Contribute as a key player to the Academy’s management team in its planning, implementation, monitoring, and review of strategic and operational plans, liaising with other managers as appropriate, taking the lead for taught programs.
- Provide professional development support and perform periodic performance appraisals for direct subordinates based on the Academy’s Performance Management System.
- Coach and mentor subordinates on a regular basis.
- Contribute in an effective and efficient manner to the recruitment and development of Student Life staff
- Any other added task in line with their role as delegated by their direct line manager
- A Bachelor’s degree in Education or equivalent, a Master degree in Education is an added advantage
- At least 5 years in a similar role at a reputable institution;
- MUST be TSC Registered
- Understanding and experience in applying student development and learning outcomes theories;
- Conflict management and resolution skills, and maintain a strong philosophical base for student activities;
- Ability to think on once feet and provide practical solutions to emerging unforeseen challenges;
- Demonstrated superior organization skills;
- First-aid certified; and Passion for young people and their character development
Send your application letter and CV as one document stating your current remuneration to email@example.com later than 31st May 2020.
Indicate clearly on the email subject line the title of the position you are applying for.
Please note: Only soft copy/email applications to the address provided will be accepted.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview