Kenya Maritime Authority is a State Corporation whose mandate is to regulate, co-ordinate and oversee maritime affairs guided by the Kenya Maritime Authority Act, No. 5 of 2006 and the Merchant Shipping Act 2009.
The Authority invites suitable candidates to fill the following position:
Job Title: Manager, Regional Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre
Grade: KMAG 3
Corporation: Kenya Maritime Authority
Department: Maritime Safety
Location / Work Station: KPA head office, Search and Rescue Centre, Mombasa
Reports to: Head of Maritime Safety
Direct Reports: RMRCC, Officer
Indirect Reports: GMDSS Operators and Radio Inspectors
Job Purpose: Formulation and coordination of the search and rescue strategies in line with the regional and national search and rescue plans.
Also responsible for coordinating the development of policies, procedures, rules and regulations in Maritime Security.
Key Responsibilities/ Duties / Tasks
I. Managerial / Supervisory Responsibilities
- Coordinate ship security plans;
- Executing the Search and Rescue plan in cooperation with the sub-regional maritime rescue coordination centres;
- Liaising with Kenya Civil Aviation Authority in search and rescue plans;
- Effective and efficient management of human resource in the department
II. Operational Responsibilities / Tasks
- Providing the high standard facilities of Regional MRCC Training Centre for GMDSS Courses and national certificates on commercial basis with due regard to maritime training practices;
- Formulating strategies for surveillance, monitoring and prevention of oil spills and other harmful substances in both coastal and inland waters; and
- Implementing the National Oil Spill Response Contingency Plan (NOSRCP) and securing of Regional cooperation in combating and preventing of oil spills and
- Prompt collection and dissemination of critical marine information to the Authority and stakeholders
I. Financial Responsibility
- Preparation and rationalisation of budget estimates.
- Implementation of approved departmental budgets
II. Responsibility for Physical Assets
- Responsible for physical assets assigned by the Authority
III. Decision Making / Job Influence
- Makes technical, operational and financial decisions
- Responsible of the Rescue Coordination
- Plan and assign duties to RMRCC officers
- Monitor officers’ work performance
- Appraises/evaluates performance
IV. Working Conditions
- Office and sea environment
- Highly demanding
- Interaction with stakeholders, both locally and internationally
Job Competencies (Knowledge, Experience and Attributes / Skills)
- Bachelor Degree in the Maritime field such as Nautical Science/ Marine Engineering/ Mechanical Engineering/ Marine Environment or any other relevant qualifications from a recognized institution;
- Masters Degree in any of the following; Maritime Affairs/ Nautical Science/ Marine Engineering/ Naval Architecture or equivalent qualifications from a recognized institution will be an added advantage;
Professional Qualifications / Membership to professional bodies
- Certificate of Competency Class II/2 in accordance with the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watch keeping, 1978
Previous relevant work experience required.
- 3 years experience in the relevant profession at middle management level
- Excellent management skills
- Excellent organizational skills and highly confident
- Ability to work under pressure
Behavioral Competencies / Attributes:
- Leadership Skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Time management skills
- Communication and coordination skills
How to Apply
The candidates to be selected must adhere io the provisions of Chapter VI on Leadership and Integrity as enshrined in the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
Interested candidates must submit certificates of compliance from the Kenya Revenue Authority, the Credit Reference Bureau, the Higher Education Loans Board and a Certificate of Good Conduct from the Criminal Investigations Department.
Prospective candidates should send soft copy applications enclosing detailed curriculum vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates.
Applicants should indicate the position applied for in the application email subject matter.
KMA is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender equity and diversity.
Qualified persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Note that canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Applications should be addressed to:
The Director General
Kenya Maritime Authority
P.O. Box 95076- 80104
Applications should be done in soft copy and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 1st June, 2020.
Full details of the advertisement can be accessed in the KMA website – www.kma.go.ke