Sokowatch is looking for a Ruby on Rails Developer responsible for managing the interchange of data between the server and the users.
About Us: Sokowatch is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. By connecting small merchants to the digital economy, we fix inefficient supply chains and provide services previously unavailable to informal businesses. Sokowatch aims to provide everything a retailer needs, no wholesalers or banks necessary.
Thousands of retailers across Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, and Uganda use Sokowatch’s mobile ordering and delivery platform to receive the goods they need as quickly and cheaply as possible while also accessing growth financing for the first time. We’re looking to grow our team with highly talented and motivated employees who are excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment.
Position: Ruby on Rails Developer
Reporting to: Head of Engineering
Sokowatch is looking for a Ruby on Rails developer responsible for managing the interchange of data between the server and the users.
Their primary focus will be development of all server-side logic, definition and maintenance of the central database, and ensuring high performance and responsiveness to requests from the front-end.
They will also be responsible for integrating the front-end elements built by their co-workers into the application.
Therefore, a basic understanding of front-end technologies is necessary as well.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
The successful candidate will possess:
- 2+ years’ Experience with Ruby on Rails, along with other common libraries such as RSpec and Resque
- Good understanding of the syntax of Ruby and its nuances
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming
- Familiarity with concepts of MVC, Mocking, ORM, and RESTful
- A knack for writing clean, readable Ruby code
- Ability to integrate multiple data sources and databases into one system
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Able to create database schemas that represent and support business processes
- Able to implement automated testing platforms and unit tests
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools like GIT
- Familiarity with development aiding tools such as Bundler, Rake, etc
- Familiarity with continuous integration
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Team-first attitude
- Good time-management skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Ruby code
- Research, analyze, and develop product features of increasingly complex nature
- Code tested and documented Ruby on Rails code
- Make design and technical decisions for Rails projects.
- Develop application code and unit testing in Rest Web Services and Ruby technologies for the Application Development Centre.
- Help maintain code quality, organization and automatization
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to these problems
- Integration of data storage solutions
- Ensure high performance of all systems developed
- Time management and self-organization
Send us your updated CV to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly indicating ‘Ruby on Rails developer’ on the subject line by 31st May, 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.