Vacant Position: NOC Engineer – Cable Landing Station
Reporting to: Shift Leader – Cable Landing Station
Department: Technology Division
Who We Are: Telkom connects the people that keep Kenya on the move. It does this by providing integrated telecommunications solutions to individuals, Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs), Government and large corporates in Kenya, drawing from a diverse solutions suite that includes voice, data, mobile money as well as network services.
Powered by its vast fibre optic infrastructure, it is also a major provider of wholesale, carrier-to-carrier traffic within the country and the region.
Role Purpose: As a NOC Engineer you will be expected to successfully undertake all activities relating to routine maintenance, corrective maintenance, root cause analysis and network quality initiatives for the submarine cable network components
- Ensure prompt traffic restoration and to institute action plans during emergencies like submarine cable cuts and/or failure of undersea submerged repeaters and equalizers.
- Perform daily, weekly and monthly routine maintenance procedures for submarine line terminating equipments;1620 SLTE, SDH equipment 1678 MCC, 1675 Lambda Unite, Ciena Core Director and SubCom LTE.
- Perform daily, weekly and monthly routine maintenance procedures on Power Feeding Equipment, rectifiers and batteries.
- Perform corrective maintenance procedures in case of the malfunction or breakdown of the DWDM Submarine landing station equipment.
- Check, record and institute corrective maintenance procedures on the auxiliary subsystems.
- Ensure that all test gears e.g. power meters, OTDR and OSA are well calibrated and available for use during emergencies.
- Perform preventive maintenance procedures on the GENSET and to report promptly to the maintenance contractor in case of anomalies
- Check and ensure the diesel fuel tank has enough fuel in case of emergencies.
- Assist contractors technically and logistically during new installations or as otherwise directed by the Team leader.
- Conducting orientation tours to members and/or visitors as directed by the Team Leader.
- Bachelors Level Engineering Degree / Diploma or equivalent in Electrical and Electronics, Telecommunications (Transmission).
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience as a transmission engineer
- 2 years telecommunication experience in fibre optic transmission equipment
- Highly skilled engineer able to competently resolve issues on fiber optic equipment & DWDM technologies
- Must be able to work in a 24 hour shift schedule, including Sundays & public holidays.
- Must be able to drive (hold a valid driver’s licenses)
- Team player
- Initiative and hands on
- Ability to work without supervision
- Results oriented
- Ability to work long hours to meet deadlines
How to Apply
Application should be sent to email@example.com for internal applicants and to firstname.lastname@example.org for external applicants by providing an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) before 2nd June 2020 including details of your current telephone contacts and names of three referees.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Telkom Kenya is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to tribe, religion, gender, age or disability.