The Commission on Administrative Justice (Office of the Ombudsman) is a Constitutional Commission established under Article 59 (4), Chapter fifteen of the Constitution and the Commission on Administrative Justice Act, 2011 with the mandate of addressing all forms of maladministration in the public sector in Kenya.
The Commission is also charged with overseeing and enforcing the implementation of the Access to Information Act, 2016.
The Commission seeks to fill the following position from 1st September 2020
Job Title: Assistant Director, Advisory Unit
Reporting To: Chairperson
Unit / Department: Advisory Unit
Job Grade: CAJ 3
No. of Posts: 1
Terms of Employment: Permanent and Pensionable
Job Description: The Assistant Director, Advisory Unit, will be responsible to the Commission on a day to day basis in realising the technical and administrative functions of the Chair’s office.
Specific duties and responsibilities will entail: –
- Prepare advisory opinions for the execution of the Commission’s mandate as directed by the Chairperson
- Process and coordinate hearing of appeals registered in the Chair’s office as directed by the Chairperson;
- Manage and coordinate both local and international partnership; such as Chair’s forum, National Council for Administrative Justice; African Ombudsman and Mediators Association (AOMA) among others as directed by the Chairperson
- Coordinate protocol and administrative arrangements for the Commission as directed by the Chairperson;
- Address ‘own motion’ complaints on issues of public interest
- Prepare on behalf of the Chairperson speeches, briefs and presentations on fair administration; access to information and other governance issues that relate to the mandate of the Commission
- Provide leadership and supervisory role in planning and coordinating of staff and the activities of the Chair’s office in liaison with other departments.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Chairperson from time to time.
For appointment to this grade, a candidate must: –
- Have post admission experience of at least eight (8) years;
- Have served in the grade of Senior Legal Officer or in an equivalent position for a minimum period of five (5) years;
- Post graduate diploma from Kenya School of Law
- Have Bachelor degree in Law from a recognized institution
- Have a Master’s degree in any of the following disciplines: – Law, Public Policy and Administration, or any related governance training from a recognized institution;
- Have a certificate in Corporate and/or Strategic Leadership/Management from a recognized institution;
- Be a member of the Law Society of Kenya in good standing;
- Be proficient in computer application skills;
- Have good analytical, drafting, research, writing, and presentation skills
- Meet the requirements of Chapter six (6) of the Constitution on Leadership and Integrity.
Clearance / Compliance Certificates
Successful candidates will be required to provide copies of clearance or compliance certificates from:
- Kenya Revenue Authority
- Ethics & Anti-Corruption Commission
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations (CID)
- A credit reference bureau
- Higher Education Loans Board
How to Apply
The Applications should be addressed to:
The Commission Secretary
Commission on Administrative Justice
2nd Floor, Westend Towers – Waiyaki Way
P.O Box 20414 City Square 00200
The Closing date is on 23rd June 2020 at 4.30pm
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Commission on Administrative Justice is an Equal Opportunity employer.