International Medical Corps
Job Title: Biomedical Engineer
Project Location: Galkacyo South, Somalia.
Duty Location: Galkacyo South Hospital with supportive role to other IMC projects in Somalia.
Hierarchical Supervisor: Field Site Manager, Galkacyo South.
Functional / Technical Support: Medical director/IMC HQ Biomedical Engineering advisor.
Working Hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm with flexibility.
Deadline for application: 30th June 2020
About International Medical Corps: International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, non-profit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs.
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, non-political, non-sectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide.
By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
Over the past 29 years, International Medical Corps (IMC) has made significant contributions to saving lives, alleviating human suffering and reducing the economic and social impact of disasters in Somalia through targeted assistance for Health, Nutrition, Protection and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) with support from several donors.
IMC currently operates in 4 regions of Somalia (Banadir, Middle Shabelle, Bay & Mudug South) operating both secondary and primary health care services including Hospitals, Health Centers, Primary Health Units, Mobile Health & Nutrition Teams and community aspects, a total of 32 Health care facilities.
IMC procure medical equipment for its supported health facilities and Biomedical engineer is vital for selection of right equipment and effective function of the medical equipment.
Job Purpose: He/she will be responsible for coordinating needs assessment, ordering, quality assurance & control, installation, maintenance of medical equipment, orientation and training of users and coordinate with contractors/vendors to ensure that all medical equipment are in good working condition.
Roles and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable support.
The tasks listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
- Liaise with all relevant departments / stakeholders on acquisition of medical equipment and signing of service contracts.
- Design and develop where required medical diagnostic and clinical instrumentation, equipment, and procedures (SOPs), utilizing the principles of engineering and bio-behavioral sciences.
- Ensure all bio-medical equipment are included on the equipment master list for scheduled maintenance and calibration.
- Support health facility supervisors to review and update the quality standards for preventive maintenance and checks that are regularly conducted on biomedical equipment to comply with changing industry requirements.
- Ensure that preventive maintenance and repairs of bio-medical equipment is planned for and conducted within the established quality standards, procedures and time to minimize machine downtime and personally install, adjust, maintain, and/or repair biomedical equipment.
- Ensure continuous training of Bio-medical equipment users and to ensure safe machine handling and use.
- Ensure calibration of biomedical equipment is done in time and documented.
- Ensure project team observance and compliance with environmental health and occupational safety measures and regulations.
- Collaborate with respective health facility supervisors to carry out staff supervision including work scheduling and execution with regards to the use of medical devices.
- Liaise with consultants, surgeons and medical staff about patients’ needs and requirements.
- Advise and assist in the application of instrumentation in clinical environments.
- Supervise handling and being in charge of any works related to various bio-medical equipment.
- To evaluate the safety, efficiency and effectiveness of medical equipment, report and implement recommendations.
- Identify gaps and risks in biomedical equipment and share with head of department for execution.
- Supervise outpatient centers and ensuring medical equipment’s are maintained as per hospital standards.
- Train relevant staff on minor maintenance of medical equipment.
- Participate in needs assessment, planning, quality assurance, quality control and acquisition of medical equipment.
- Analyze new medical procedures in order to forecast likely outcomes.
- Diagnose and interpret bioelectric data, using signal processing techniques.
- Disseminate knowledge about field with regards to medical device, through writing ups, reports and lessons learnt.
- Assisting medical or other health-care personnel in observing, repairing, or treating physical ailments or deformities, using knowledge of materials compatible with body tissues, energy exchanges within the body, and instrumentation capable of measuring and controlling body functions where applicable or relevant.
- Share monthly reports to respective supervisor on medical devices status/inventory across the mission in collaboration with respective project health focal persons.
- Carry out equipment needs assessment for projects as assigned by the supervisor.
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Bachelors’ Degree or Diploma in Bio-Medical Engineering from recognized institution or University.
- Must be Registered by an Association or board or equivalent body of Bio-Medical Engineering in respective country.
- Minimum 2 years working experience in medical equipment maintenance in case of Bachelor Degree or 4 years’ experience is required for Diploma holders – experience in a busy medical institution or NGO is highly desirable.
- Excellent organizational, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Must exhibit a commitment to the Humanitarian Principles as well as the respects of medical ethics.
- Must be computer literate
- Fluency in English and Somalia language is an added advantage.
- Flexibility and accountability highly desirable.
- Must be diplomatic and able to maintain confidentiality and respects of medical ethics.
Code of Conduct: It is our shared responsibility and obligation to prevent matters involving Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, trafficking in Persons, Child Safeguarding and any suggested violation to IMC Code of Conduct, which may involve Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment. If you see, hear or are made aware of any suggested activities then you have an obligation to report.
Compliance & Ethics: Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values
Equal Opportunities: International Medical Corps is a ‘first-responder’ both to natural and men-made disasters and has a mandate of working in remote locations. The organization has a comprehensive security management policy and plan in place and committed to do everything possible within its remit to ensure safety and security.
Notwithstanding, the mandate and programming choices of International Medical Corps require staff with high degree of resilience, extremely decisive quality and ability to move fast. International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
How to Apply:
IMC Somalia is inviting qualified candidates who meet the above requirements to send cover letter and CV to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kindly indicate the job title in the email subject line clearly marked as “Biomedical Engineer”.
Deadline for applications is 30th June 2020.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Due to the urgency of this position, shortlisting will be done on an ongoing basis.
International Medical Corps is an equal opportunity employer and does not ask for money or any kind of favours in exchange for employment.
To report fraud and unethical behaviour:
1. File a report online at EthicsPoint: https://secure.ethicspoint.com/domain/media/en/gui/29929/index.html
2. Contact email@example.com for further instruction
3. Reports may also be made to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
More details on International Medical Corps and our projects worldwide are available through our website: www.internationalmedicalcorps.org