International Medical Corps
Job Title: Critical Care Nurse
Project Location: Galkacyo South, Somalia
Duty Location: Galkacyo South Hospital
Hierarchical Supervisor: Field Site Manager, Galkacyo South
Functional / Technical Support: Health Officer / Medical Coordinator
Deadline for application: 30th June 2020
About International Medical Corps: International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs.
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide.
By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
Over the past 29 years, International Medical Corps (IMC) has made significant contributions to saving lives, alleviating human suffering and reducing the economic and social impact of disasters in Somalia through targeted assistance for Health, Nutrition, Protection and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) with support from several donors.
IMC currently operates in 4 regions of Somalia (Banadir, Middle Shabelle, Bay & Mudug South) operating both secondary and primary health care services including Hospitals, Health Centers, Primary Health Units, Mobile Health & Nutrition Teams and community aspects, a total of 32 Health care facilities.
IMC Somalia mission is in the process of supporting current Somalia MOH national response in the facility management of severe and critical COVID-19 cases in line with ministry and WHO guidelines.
Job Purpose: He/she will be support setting up an Intensive Care Units for the management of critical patients requiring respiratory support.
As part of the team, he/she will conduct initial assessment of the designated health facility, outline needs and resources and carry out daily nursing care and necessary on job training for the staff working in the facility.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable support.
The tasks listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
- In collaboration with the rest of the unit team, supervisor and Critical Care Physician, conduct needs analysis and outline necessary resources required for efficient functioning of the nursing department in an Intensive Care Unit.
- Provide daily nursing care to the patients admitted in the unit or in the facility.
- Define the human resource needs for nursing team in the unit and supervise the associated processes (recruitment, validation of nursing staff, training/induction, evaluation, communication).
- In collaboration with the Hospital Director and the project team leader, develop SOPs and guidelines for the nursing team working in Intensive care/ Isolation unit. Follow up on implementation of the SOPs and clinical pathways and provide on-job training to the staff.
- Draft a training needs for the health facility and develop a training plan in accordance with available resources. Provide on job training on attending to the overall patient needs; intubation, ventilation and Basic and Advance Life Support to the staff working in the health facility.
- Train and support the nursing team in providing physical assessments and administering treatments; monitoring vital signs and ensuring the proper functions of feeding tubes, ventilators, catheters and other life support equipment.
- In collaboration with the rest of the emergency team, develop standard list of items, medications and equipment and ensure all necessary kits are available for intubation, resuscitation and critical care management of patients admitted in the unit.
- In collaboration with the Biomedical Engineer, ensure good functioning and maintenance of OT equipment (oxygen extractor, ventilation, equipment, etc).
- Advise on identification and management of critical patients in both Intensive Care Unit and wards with the responsible medical staff, including fluid management, oxygenation monitoring and airway care and chest physiotherapy and mobilization, with special focus on patient’s pain relief during the recovering process.
- Implement and supervise hygiene rules, IPC measures, procedures and protocols in ICU and the wards (decontamination, sterilization, storage conditions, etc.) to ensure the safety and protection of patients and staff.
- In collaboration with the Health officer, Critical care Physician and the hospital Director, develop standard list of medications, items and equipment required for effective functioning of the ICU.
- Ensure availability of all the needed medicine, medical supplies and equipment in the facility with proper inventory.
- Develop guidelines and SOPs for palliative care for terminally ill patients.
- Ensure up to date and complete patient records at all times.
- Support in compiling, analyzing and submitting reports.
- Ensure proper handing over and taking over in each shift at the unit and maintain duty roster in the facility.
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Refer complaints and feedback to the Health Officer to respond and address them.
- Maintain an efficient office filing management system related to monitoring, evaluation and reporting on ICU activities.
Qualifications, Experience and Competencies:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing or Certification as a Critical Care Nurse or a Higher Diploma in Critical Care.
- Must be a registered Nurse with a Nursing Association Board or equivalent body of respective country.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience as a Nurse.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in an Intensive care unit/critical care.
- Excellent organizational, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent people management skills including team work and cooperation.
- Must exhibit a commitment to the Humanitarian Principles as well as the respects of medical ethics.
- Must be Results and Quality Oriented.
- Fluency in both English and Somali language will be an added advantage.
Code of Conduct: It is our shared responsibility and obligation to prevent matters involving Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Trafficking in Persons, Child Safeguarding and any suggested violation to IMC Code of Conduct which may involve Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment. If you see, hear or are made aware of any suggested activities then you have an obligation to report.
Compliance & Ethics: International Medical Corps promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values
Equal Opportunities: International Medical Corps is a ‘first-responder’ both to natural and man-made disasters and has a mandate of working in remote locations. The organization has a comprehensive security management policy and plan in place and is committed to do everything possible within its remit to ensure safety and security. Notwithstanding, the mandate and programming choices of International Medical Corps requires staff with high degree of resilience, extremely decisive and with the ability to move fast. International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
How to Apply:
IMC Somalia is inviting qualified candidates who meet the above requirements to send cover letter and CV to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kindly indicate the job title in the email subject line clearly marked as “Critical Care Nurse”.
Deadline for applications is 30th June 2020.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Due to the urgency of this position, shortlisting will be done on an ongoing basis.
International Medical Corps is an equal opportunity employer and does not ask for money or any kind of favours in exchange for employment.
To report fraud and unethical behaviour:
1. File a report online at EthicsPoint: https://secure.ethicspoint.com/domain/media/en/gui/29929/index.html
2. Contact email@example.com for further instruction
3. Reports may also be made to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
More details on International Medical Corps and our projects worldwide are available through our website: www.internationalmedicalcorps.org