Job Vacancy: Communications and Knowledge Management Coordinator – Policy LINK
Project Background: The five-year (2019 – 2024) Feed the Future Policy Leadership, Interactions, Networks and Knowledge (Policy LINK) project will strengthen the capacity of local actors and institutions to lead and manage the agricultural transformation process and contribute effectively and collectively to improved, broad-based food security policy outcomes.
Specifically, the program aims to strengthen food security policy systems by investing in and reinforcing productive human and social capital and developing strategic partnerships that help bring these innovations and capacity investments to scale in order to achieve a critical mass of local actors with the ability and opportunity to effect positive policy change through collective action.
Position Objectives: The Communications and Knowledge Management Coordinator will be responsible for communications across various platforms for the Feed the Future funded Policy LINK project.
S/he will work with the Strategic Communications Manager in the implementation of the communications plan and systems, support in all internal and external communications tasks. S/he will participate actively as a valued member of Policy LINK Activity Teams, supporting these teams to integrate communications into each Activity’s core objectives and implementation approaches.
The Communications and Knowledge Management Coordinator will also support digital knowledge management and learning initiatives on the project while assisting the Strategic Communications Manager in maintaining a strong digital presence on approved corporate platforms.
S/he will continually reinforce Policy LINK’s agreed-upon core purpose and principles, and ensure all decision-making is rooted in the purpose and principles. S/he will contribute to a learning environment in which personal and team growth is supported, with a shared understanding that the “team” always comes before the “individual.”
The Communications and Knowledge Management Coordinator will be responsible for the following:
- Collaborate closely with the Strategic Communications Manager to ensure that all components of communications plan are well implemented, including overseeing elements of the plan as the Coordinator’s skill set develops;
- Think creatively to produce new ideas and concepts and support in the development of interactive design for communications products targeted at different audiences;
- In his/her role as Activity Team member, support in the design and implementation of targeted communications mini strategies for reaching key people (i.e. government officials) as well as for reaching key audiences (community, CSOs, CBOs etc.) which may involve a variety of communications mediums such as social/digital/mainstream broadcast and print/ community media etc. in collaboration with Strategic Communications Manager;
- Work with the learning and knowledge management teams, and the IT and Knowledge Systems Manager to organize and manage digital events, including webinars and podcasts;
- Draft smart, engaging and relevant regular content such as updates, announcements and blogs for the e-newsletter, website and activity pages on key partner networks, whilst monitoring engagement;
- Create dissemination toolkits for Policy LINK blogs and learning products;
- Support the Strategic Communications Manager to compile, prepare and edit internal and donor reports;
- Share relevant new trends, information, and insights with project team to support the MEL functions;
- Support in managing all project-related communications events and trips, assisting to coordinate all logistics, and ensuring that everything runs smoothly (including with internal and external actors) to create a good name for the project and ensure project visibility;
- Regularly capture success stories, project statistics, data, news, updates, pictures etc. in close collaboration with Strategic Communications Manager that can be used in reports and on digital platforms;
- Manage and regularly update a “media bank” of project activity photos, videos and texts, snagging in line with existing guidelines;
- Master Feed the Future and USAID branding and work closely with the Strategic Communications Manager to ensure compliance with Feed the Future and USAID branding and marking guidelines for all communications products including donor reports and project materials;
- Manage other tasks as assigned.
Reporting: The Communications and Knowledge Management Coordinator will report to the Strategic Communications Manager. S/he will also coordinate closely with the Knowledge Management and Learning activity teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related digital management field;
- At least 5 years of experience in project support for communications and digital management in a humanitarian or development context;
- Excellent writing, editing and oral communication skills;
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current global trends in digital/social media, with recent hands-on experience managing social media channels, and ability to identify relevant emerging trends and information sharing mechanisms to inform digital/social media strategies;
- Experience with event management;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with diverse partners and stakeholders;
- Experience using photo editing and desktop publishing software including Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator and/or open-source graphic design platforms;
- Experience with website management and content development;
- English and Kiswahili fluency.
- Willingness to take extra steps outside of the job scope in order to produce and ensure timely delivery of required communications materials;
- Excellent organizational skills with demonstrated ability to manage several tasks under extremely tight deadlines;
- Willingness to experiment with new approaches or technologies;
- Excellent cross-cultural communication and interpersonal skills;
- Willingness to learn;
- Innovative and creative with a passion for communications and creating various types of multi-media and digital content.
How to Apply
If you believe that you qualify for this position, kindly submit your CV, current and expected salary to LINKrecruitment@dai.com by 19 June, 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted