The Commission on Administrative Justice (Office of the Ombudsman) is a Constitutional Commission established under Article 59 (4), Chapter fifteen of the Constitution and the Commission on Administrative Justice Act, 2011 with the mandate of addressing all forms of maladministration in the public sector in Kenya.
The Commission is also charged with overseeing and enforcing the implementation of the Access to Information Act, 2016.
The Commission seeks to fill the following position from 1st September 2020
Job Title: Director, Access to Information
Reporting To: Commission Secretary / CEO
Unit / Department: Access to Information
Job Grade: CAJ 2
No. of Posts: 1
Terms of Employment: 4 Year Contract
Job Description: The Director, Access to Information, will be responsible to the Commission Secretary for developing policy guidelines and formulating strategies to enforce the implementation of the right to Access of Information both in private and public institutions.
Specific duties and responsibilities will entail: –
i. Provide strategic, professional and technical advice to the Commission on matters Access to Information
ii. Formulate and implement policies, strategies and guidelines for effective discharge of the functions of the department in accordance with the strategic goals of the Commission.
iii. Oversee the review and determination of applications on violation of the right of access to information;
iv. Oversee the designing and development of programmes to facilitate proactive disclosure of information and data held by public entities and private bodies;
v. Develop mechanisms for hearing and determination of access to information applications;
vi. Monitor compliance with international treaty obligations relating to freedom of and the right of access to information;
vii. Provide technical support and guidance to public entities and private bodies on implementation of the Access to Information Act;
viii. Ensure compliance of public entities in establishing proper records management systems that facilitate the access to information.
ix. Develop programmes to ensure facilitation of protection of persons disclosing information ¡n public interest; and
x. Provide data for preparation of various reports on the implementation status of the Access to Information Act
xi. Supervise staff in the department and promote a performance oriented culture
xii. Develop and monitor implementation of departmental plans and budgets
xiii. Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
For appointment to this grade, a candidate must: –
- Have a minimum experience of ten (10) years in a related managerial position.
- Have Bachelors degree in any of the following disciplines: – Information Management, Law, Public Policy and Administration, Governance & Public Administration or equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
- Have Masters degree in any of the following disciplines: Information Management, Law, Public Policy and Administration, Governance & Public Administration equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
- Have a certificate in Governance and/or Strategic Leadership / Management from a recognized institution;
- Be a member of professional body in good standing where applicable;
- Be proficient in computer application skills;
- Have demonstrated professional, managerial and leadership competence reflected in work performance and results;
- Have interpersonal relations and people management skills and;
- Meet the requirements of Chapter six (6) of the Constitution on Leadership and Integrity.
Clearance / Compliance Certificates
Successful candidates will be required to provide copies of clearance or compliance certificates from:
- Kenya Revenue Authority
- Ethics & Anti-Corruption Commission
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations (CID)
- A credit reference bureau
- Higher Education Loans Board
How to Apply
The Applications should be addressed to:
The Commission Secretary
Commission on Administrative Justice
2nd Floor, Westend Towers – Waiyaki Way
P.O Box 20414 City Square 00200
The Closing date is on 23rd June 2020 at 4.30pm
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Commission on Administrative Justice is an Equal Opportunity employer.