The Commission on Administrative Justice (Office of the Ombudsman) is a Constitutional Commission established under Article 59 (4), Chapter fifteen of the Constitution and the Commission on Administrative Justice Act, 2011 with the mandate of addressing all forms of maladministration in the public sector in Kenya.
The Commission is also charged with overseeing and enforcing the implementation of the Access to Information Act, 2016.
The Commission seeks to fill the following position from 1st September 2020
Job Title: Director – Strategy, Research and Compliance
Reporting To: Commission Secretary / CEO
Directorate: Strategy, Research and Compliance
Unit / Department: Strategy, Research and Compliance
Job Grade: CAJ 2
No. of Posts: 1
Terms of Employment: 4 Year Contract
Job Description: The Director, Strategy, Research and Compliance will be responsible for developing and implementing the Commissions’ strategy, providing leadership in conducting research on matters Fair Administration and Access to Information, monitoring compliance of public agencies with the Commission’s mandate and providing a framework for monitoring the Commission’s compliance with other legal and statutory obligations.
Specific duties and responsibilities will entail: –
(i) Coordinate the development, monitoring and evaluation of policies, procedures, systems and programmes of the Commission;
(ii) Coordinate the development and implementation of the Commission’s strategic plan and performance contracting obligations;
(iii) Oversee the development and implementation of best practices, policies, procedures and systems for research on matters of administrative justice and access to information;
(iv) Carry out research on cases relating to administrative justice and access to information;
(v) Undertake research on systemic issues and recommending remedial measures and proactive action;
(vi) Develop and implement a monitoring and evaluation framework for reporting on compliance with the Commission’s strategic plan, annual work plans, budget and other statutory obligations
(vii) Coordinate preparation of statutory reports for the Commission and ensure timely submission of the reports as per the legally provided time frames
(viii) Establish a modern Resource Centre that is a one stop shop for information on fair administration, access to information and other related issues on governance.
(ix) Monitor and evaluate the status of the various complaints on maladministration and access to information;
(x) Supervise staff in the department and promote a performance oriented culture
(xi) Coordinate all the planning activities of the Commission.
(xii) Any Other Duties as may be assigned from time to time.
For appointment to this grade, a candidate must: –
- Have relevant experience of ten (10) years in a managerial position
- Have Bachelors degree in any of the following fields: Economics, Mathematics & Computers, Statistics, Commerce or any other equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
- Have Masters degree in any of the following fields: Economics, Mathematics & Computers, Statistics, Commerce, Strategic Management or any other equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
- Have a certificate in Governance and/or Strategic Leadership/Management from a recognized institution;
- Be a member of professional body where applicable and in good standing;
- Be proficient in computer application skills;
- Have demonstrated high professional competence and managerial capability;
- Have good leadership, organisational, interpersonal relations and people management skills;
- Have thorough understanding of national goals, policies and ability to relate them to strategy, research and compliance; and
- Meet the requirements of Chapter six (6) of the Constitution on Leadership and Integrity.
Clearance / Compliance Certificates
Successful candidates will be required to provide copies of clearance or compliance certificates from:
- Kenya Revenue Authority
- Ethics & Anti-Corruption Commission
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations (CID)
- A credit reference bureau
- Higher Education Loans Board
How to Apply
The Applications should be addressed to:
The Commission Secretary
Commission on Administrative Justice
2nd Floor, Westend Towers – Waiyaki Way
P.O Box 20414 City Square 00200
The Closing date is on 23rd June 2020 at 4.30pm
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Commission on Administrative Justice is an Equal Opportunity employer.