Job Title: Ecologist
Reports To: Director
Responsible for: Overseeing Environment Conservation Projects and biodiversity monitoring.
A Nature Conservancy in Laikipia is looking for a competent Resident Ecologist to offer technical expertise and oversee its environmental conservation project.
The ideal candidate should be passionate about nature and environment conservation with a good background in training teams on environmental conservation.
The key requirements for this position are as outlined below;
- Implementing SMART monitoring with Conservancy Rangers. Training and mentoring will be provided.
- Biodiversity monitoring of mammals, ornithology, plants, reptiles, and amphibians in partnership with teams from the National Museums of Kenya.
- Forming photos ID databases of elephant and lion populations on the Conservancy.
- Reporting on fence breakages and HWC incidents.
- Compiling ecological data for the Conservancy, such as rainfall data, bush fire data e.t.c.
- Where appropriate and to be decided on a case by case basis, working with the Conservancy’s scientific advisors to design research projects to investigate different aspects of biodiversity within the Conservancy.
- Keeping existing collections of Entomological, Botanical and other specimens in good order.
- Organizing ecological monitoring with the National Museums of Kenya and relevant institutions.
- Promoting, guiding and hosting local and international research teams, students’ educational / community visits, volunteers and visitors to the Conservancy.
- Working with local schools to form bird-watching clubs and wildlife clubs.
- Working with Conservancy advisors to create short ecology and environment related courses for schools and students.
- Obtaining a thorough understanding of the Conservancy projects.
- Liaising with organizations such as Birdlife, Nature Kenya, Wildlife Clubs of Kenya, GEF, National Museums of Kenya, KFWG, KWS, UNEP, Institutions of Higher Learning (both national and international) while promoting the Conservancy projects, grants and Field visits.
- Planning and supervising a yearly Summer Course and other courses following our curriculum that includes teachers training courses, local guide courses etc.
- Representing the organization at meetings and conventions when appropriate.
- Writing grants applications/project proposals in conjunction with the directors.
Knowledge, experience and qualifications required
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Studies, Zoology, Biology or Environmental Science. Masters in Environmental Science / Studies will be an added advantage.
- Possess a valid clean driving license.
- Proven work experience of over 5 years as an Ecologist in a reputable organization.
- Should be above 35 years of age.
Personal skills and attributes required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Kiswahili.
- Knowledge of the SMART program.
- Knowledge of handling drones for biodiversity monitoring.
- Strong leadership and coordination skills.
- Team player and able to deal professionally with diverse groups of people.
- Background in training of diverse groups of people, especially the youth on environmental conservation.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under stressful conditions with minimum supervision.
How to Apply
Interested candidates to send current CV and application indicating expected gross salary to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 20th June 2020.
Should you not hear from us two weeks after the application deadline, kindly consider your application unsuccessful.