Job Title: Program Manager
Reports to: Senior Manager
Supervises: Field Managers, Senior Associate Field Managers, and/or Associate Field Managers
Start date: Immediate
Contract Duration: 2 years with 6 months’ probation (with the possibility of extension)
Background: GiveDirectly is driving a re-evaluation of the assumptions underlying international philanthropy with a provocative model: we deliver donations directly to the extreme poor and let them decide what to do with them.
This approach builds on two converging trends: the rapid spread of electronic last-mile payments solutions in the emerging markets, and the large body of experimental evidence showing that direct transfers are as or more cost-effective at reducing poverty than more traditional, top-down approaches.
GiveDirectly’s field operations utilize state-of-the-art technology and business processes to deliver transfers securely, efficiently, and transparently. Our unorthodox approach – allowing the poor, and not the donor, to choose where they invest – has prompted debate in the popular press and among policymakers.
GiveDirectly has been featured on NPR’s This American Life, and in Foreign Affairs, The Economist, and The New York Times. It was named one of the Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Finance by FastCompany, one of the 25 Most Audacious Companies by Inc., and one of GiveWell’s top-rated charities for 4 years running.
Overview: The Program Manager will own the overall enrollment process for a specific program (or programs), including driving & tracking the performance of field teams; achieving targets; building a culture of mentorship and professional development; and identifying opportunities for risk mitigation and process improvement.
The Program Manager will serve as the key “eyes and ears” resource on the ground for senior management and will be responsible for regularly synthesizing updates on operational health. The role will have significant responsibility and a high degree of autonomy in creating and managing a large team.
The PM will be responsible for managing all aspects of ground operations:
- Set and own quantifiable targets like households enrolled and operational efficiency.
- Serve as the organization’s engine for continuous improvement of the enrolment process and recipient experience.
- Over time, reduce dependence on senior management and create more leverage for the Senior Manager through capacity-building and delegation.
Vision & Critical Thinking:
The PM will be expected to be a strong contributor to the overall vision of the country office, engaging with the Senior Manager in country problem-solving.
- Conceive, develop, and test new protocols and methods prior to overseeing scale up.
- Anticipate areas of risk and create mitigation plans (e.g. coordination on complex research partnerships, slow-downs from pilots, etc.).
The PM will be expected to oversee a performance-oriented culture within your team (your reports and their reports), with all staff receiving feedback and development opportunities to achieve their potential.
Hire, train, and manage field staff.
- Run performance reviews for direct reports and build their capacity to do the same.
- Identify and coach high-potential field staff to grow on a quick promotion trajectory.
- Identify gaps in the org chart and propose solutions to the Senior Manager.
Data and Analysis:
The PM will be expected to be comfortable using data to track performance, and inform decision-making, and to quickly build expertise within GD’s standard beneficiary data management and survey tools.
- Lead survey creation and updates for new and existing projects
- Guide and support reports on data inquiries, skill development, and data analysis
- Work effectively with GD’s global data team (framing needs and expectations, and holding self and others accountable to agreed timelines)
- Meets the GD “bar” for online communication responsiveness (slack, email, phone)
- Presents effectively to the management team (focusing on key insights, etc.)
- Build relationships with the government and other stakeholders that protect and advance GD’s work.
- Communicate and concisely clearly across a variety of forms (written, presenting, verbal)
Support for auxiliary projects:
- Assist Senior Manager with hosting journalists, donors, and other external parties
- Assist Senior Manager with communicating and executing new project pilots/technologies (e.g. messaging Segovia to the field team, brainstorming options for community-based targeting, rolling out mobile app questions, etc.)
Team-building / morale:
- Monitor team dynamics and own follow-up on barometer activities
- Identify opportunities for morale-building (e.g. retreats, team events, incentive schemes, etc.)
- Sets a strong example to other staff on appropriate management of GD resources
- Identifies and proposes fixes for potential fraud loopholes
- Demonstrated success in a high-performance work environment
- Exceptional leadership ability with demonstrated success in motivating and developing junior staff
- Strong interest in advancing the values and mission of GiveDirectly
- Exceptional communication, organizational, and analytical skills, including a high level of proficiency with Microsoft Office (especially Excel)
- At least 3-4 years’ experience managing managers
- Excitement about owning challenging management tasks, including mentoring and motivating direct reports and the broader field team
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly independent and self-directed manner, while effectively communicating upwardly about gaps and risks
- Ability to manage day-to-day operations while simultaneously building more robust, efficient systems
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online