Job Vacancy: Software Developer
Jacaranda Health a non-profit organization that believes every woman and her family should experience childbirth safely and with dignity.
Founded in 2011, we built gold-standard maternity hospitals to deliver high quality maternity care in the private sector.
We are now working with governments to improve the quality of care in the public sector, where the majority of under-served women deliver babies.
In a short period of time, Jacaranda has deployed innovative, low-cost tools and processes that are dramatically changing the status quo in government hospitals.
From 3 hospital partners in 2015, we now work with 100+ hospitals across 5 Kenyan counties.
Our digital health platform has enrolled 150,000+ pregnant women and new mothers, while our provider training programs reach 1500+ providers every quarter. We have an ambitious scaling strategy for catalyzing change across the country and the region.
Our technology and analytics team is building new tools and systems that form the core of our scaling strategy. Here are some examples of how this approach is having a direct impact on the lives of mothers and babies in Kenya: Teletriaging During COVID-19, Data for decision-making, Tech for nurse coaching, Using AI to help mothers get the care they need.
As a Junior Software Developer, you will take ownership, responsibility, and accountability for running, maintaining, and troubleshooting the organization’s codebase, systems, and data flows.
- Build and maintain data flows and integrations between various platforms and databases, including but not limited to messaging and ticketing platforms, GCP, AWS, MongoDB and more.
- Create and maintain MongoDB and PostgreSQL databases for organization’s data.
- Prepare technical specifications as well as documentation for software engineering analysis.
- Develop and evaluate technical design, architecture and framework.
- Contribute to the entire software development lifecycle inclusive of collection, design, analysis, development technologies and version control etc.
- Conduct application testing of parts, modifications and entire systems.
- Prepare and execute training plus documentation for software engineering applications.
- Support task plans, estimation, schedules and staffing.
- Direct and review software engineers plus consultants work on project teams.
- Design and develop technical solutions on the basis of functional specifications.
- Design code, install, maintain, unit test and retrofit software programs.
- Evaluate code non-conformities and prepare code enhancements.
- Develop documents for use through internal and external clients.
- Provide technical support and information to various team members.
- Review software design ideas and present work estimates.
- Work closely with other members of the technical team, developers, UX designers, business, and systems analysts.
- Collaborating with management, team leads, and team members to design and implement new processes, to resolve issues, and to ensure solutions are viable and consistent
- Structuring and prioritising business requirements and communicating plans with stakeholders for review and approval
- Maintaining and updating processes and procedures
- Training team members on technical and non-technical subjects.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
- Proven experience as a Software Developer, Software Engineer or similar role.
- Extensive experience with Python development in a fast-paced business environment.
- Experience creating and maintaining MongoDB and PostgreSQL databases.
- Experience working with Cloud Services (AWS, GCP, Azure.)
- Experience with Docker
- Experience with Machine Learning platforms.
- Extensive experience with RESTful Web Services.
- A background in data science or data engineering will be considered a strong bonus.
- Experience with software design and development in a test-driven environment
- Experience with databases and Object-Relational Mapping (ORM) frameworks.
- Familiarity with UI toolkits and frameworks.
- Ability to learn new languages and technologies.
- Resourcefulness and troubleshooting aptitude.
- Very strong attention to detail.
Education: The candidate must have a bachelor’s degree in Software Development, Computer Science, Data Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, Statistics, Applied Math, or any other related field.
Experience: The candidate must have at least 3-4 years’ experience in a software development position, preferably working as a software developer in a fast-paced and dynamic business setting. A background in data science or data engineering will be considered a strong plus. Experience working in the Health sector will also be considered a plus.
Interested candidates should apply through this link
No hard copies required or accepted.
Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 10th June 2020