Vacant Position: Charge Nurse – NICU & Pediatrics
Reports to: Head of Nursing
Purpose: To provide complete care to critically-ill premature and full term infants and promote and maintain caring and highly professional standards of nursing care meeting the needs of the patients in all aspects and promoting job satisfaction for nursing team.
To provide leadership in quality management, patient care, operational and human resource management and to participate in strategic planning for future development.
The Charge Nurse is expected to supervise staff in all aspects of managing the unit and the resources there-in.
The Charge Nurse will ensure that she/he maintains safe practice and a safe environment for the patients at all times.
Key Result Areas
The post holder is required to:-
- Ensure the continuity of the expected standards of care by effective management of staff and resources
- Organize unit- based education sessions.
- Develop and maintain an up to date knowledge of statutory regulations which apply in the work situation and of the nursing council of Kenya.
- Supervise, mentor and develop nursing staff in patient care ensuring that their performance meets the hospital standards of care.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to staff and trainees to ensure all patients are treated with dignity, privacy and respect and that the patients are encouraged to be involved in decision making related to their care. The
- Charge Nurse must act as an advocate for patient rights.
- Ensure patient reports and tests are ready and available.
- Liaise with the laboratory for patient tests and the admissions desks for any admissions to the wards
- Ensure all patient waiting areas as well as the treatment rooms are clean, neat and tidy at all times. Liaise with Head of housekeeping to sort out any housekeeping issues.
- Maintain an equipment list and to ensure that equipment is available, functioning and serviced on a regular basis.
- Ensure that CSSD supplies and other sterile supplies are available and those used are charged appropriately.
- Ensure that the required stocks of linen supplies are available from laundry.
- Maintain nursing quality assurance standards and be involved in the auditing process of the nursing practice.
- Advocate improvement in clinical practice and assist in the development of unit based policies and procedures.
- Maintain infection control practices and standards and be involved in the same as required by the infection control nurse.
- Be aware of all hospital management policies in force and act in accordance with those policies. Attention is drawn to local fire regulations and action to be taken in the event of fire or major disaster.
- Participate in the organization wide and nursing orientation programme in place.
- Investigate and document quality assurance incidents on staff, patients visitors and others promptly and thoroughly and to complete the incident form and write statements if required. Ensure that it is done promptly and not necessarily by self.
- Ensure that all complaints are investigated in accordance with the hospital policy and procedure. All complaints must be reported to the appropriate manager and Charge Nurse without delay.
The Charge Nurse is required to :-
- Be observant of the patients’ needs and requirements, and assist where appropriate in providing care to meet those needs which are within the total care plan of the patient.
- Maintain a safe practice and environment for the patients at all times.
- Act as a role model to other nurses on the unit.
- Supervise and assess, plan and implement agreed individual care plans and evaluate the effectiveness of the care given.
- Ensure the prescribed medical treatment is given as prescribed or as appropriate.
- Maintain personal contact with patients ensuring that they understand their treatment and that their needs are met.
- Make adequate discharge arrangements to ensure that the care given to patients is of appropriate standard.
- Communicate with other professional staff to ensure that the care given to patients is of appropriate standard.
- Take responsibility for doing the following and for ensuring maintenance of accurate records/ documentation for:
- Family and patient education
- Make sure that all information concerning patients and their treatment remain confidential at all times.
- Ensure and safeguard the hospital /patients and equipment from damage, wastage or loss.
The Charge Nurse is required to:-
- Maintain and develop own professional competences and knowledge by participating in continuing education sessions at ward level and within the hospital and externally and to develop own training needs.
- Participate in the programmes of in service training.
- Maintain and develop own professional profile and identify development needs.
- Participate in performance appraisal where annual goals and objectives are set and met.
- Serve as a link nurse of the unit in various nursing initiatives.
- Initiate and participate in Nursing Quality Assurance (NQA) Initiatives
- Initiate and participate in other unit –based initiatives.
- Maintain credit hours for the hospital and the nursing council of Kenya.
- Be BLS (basic life support) certified annually.
Key Result Areas
- High Standard of nursing practice as evidenced by scoring a minimum of Excellent to outstanding in two consecutive performance appraisals.
- Effective, organized and efficient unit evidenced by reduced customer complaints.
- Effective communication with the team members, patients and families.
- Ability to demonstrate personal initiative in career and personal development as well as in on the job situations.
- Ability to logically and effectively schedule, implement , and maintain work plans and objectives
- Ability to lead and work cooperatively with peers and other co-workers to accomplish group objectives.
- Safe practice through adherence to organization and nursing division’s policies and procedures especially those relating to hygiene, environment and infection control.
- Ability to cope with stressful situations in the environment while maintaining normal job effectiveness.
- Motivate and energize staff on the unit.
- Effective control of resources.
- Effective achievement of own development, accreditation requirements and BLS, and other unit specific certification as required.
Competencies / Abilities:
- Demonstrate ability to transmit knowledge, skills through patient education.
- Demonstrate safe and competent care in chosen area of clinical practice with commitment to excellence in nursing practice.
- Knowledge of the nursing process, current, and legal aspects of documentation.
- Experience in budget preparation, equipment
- Demonstrate respect for and receptivity to other cultural norms and standards.
- Have a positive attitude and integrity, be honest and show respect for individuals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate leadership skills by taking on shift –leading role, being a role model and preceptor.
- Ability to identify and analyze problems and take appropriate decisions to resolve issues.
- Ability to express a personal philosophy of nursing.
Knowledge / Qualifications and Experience
- Diploma / degree from accredited school of nursing
- Certificate of Registration with the Nursing Council.
- Experience of 5 or more years continuous clinical nursing experience in an acute care hospital.
- Valid practicing license.
- Computer literacy is a must.
- Other unit-based requirements.
If you meet these qualifications, send your Updated CV and any other Relevant papers to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the job title REF PEDIATRICS NURSE on the email subject.