Ministry of Health
Pharmacy and Poisons Board
Job Advertisement: Member, Pharmacovigilance Expert Review & Advisory Committee (PERAC)
The Pharmacy and Poisons Board is the National Medicines Regulatory Authority for Kenya whose mandate is the monitoring quality, safety and efficacy of medical products and health technologies in the country.
Pharmacy and Poisons Board incorporates use of expert committees to carry out part of its mandate and would like to extend invitation to membership to the Pharmacovigilance Expert Review & Advisory Committee (PERAC) as indicated below.
Job Title: Member, Kenya Pharmacovigilance Expert Review & Advisory Committee (PERAC)
Number of Posts: Eleven (11)
Terms of Service: On Ad Hoc Basis When Need Arises
Duration of Service: Three Years Renewable Term
Reporting to: The Chief Executive Officer
Job Description: Participate in the assessment of the quality, safety and efficacy of medical products and health technologies and issue recommendations after evaluation of the safety information
Duties and Responsibilities
Offer scientific and technical expertise to PPB in the safety monitoring of Medical products and Health Technologies used in Kenya.
Through and not limited to the following:
- Advising on the risk management; the use of medicinal products including the detection, assessment, minimization and communication relating to the risk of adverse reactions, the design and evaluation of post-authorization safety studies (PASS) and pharmacovigilance audit/inspections.
- Issue recommendations for urgent safety procedures
- Assessing aggregate periodic reports and issue recommendations
- Assessing post-authorization safety studies (PASS) protocols and their outcomes and issue recommendations
- Evaluating and issuing recommendations on signals
- Providing advice on the updating of medicinal products list requiring additional monitoring
- Issuing advice for “cause” pharmacovigilance inspections
- Issuing recommendations for Risk management plans (RMPs).
- Issuing advice for safety issues for the medicines which undergo a retention and/or for safety variations.
- Issuing advice on the timing and message content for individual safety cases requiring issuance of safety alerts
- Issue advice for literature ADR monitoring
For appointment to this position, a candidate must have; –
- A Master’s Degree in Pharmacy, Medicine or any Health-Related field from a recognized university (eg: Pharmacovigilance ,Pharmacoepidemiology, Pharmacology/Clinical Pharmacology, Toxicology/Clinical Toxicology, Pharmacotherapeutics ,Drug Development, Clinical Trials, Genetics/ ,Biotechnology Biostatics/Medical Statistics, Non-Communicable diseases, Immunology, Medical Devices, Clinical Pharmacy, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Epidemiology, Immunology, Pathology ,Internal Medicine, Vaccinology , Tropical and Infectious diseases, Neglected Tropical Diseases, Oncology, Cardiology, Cosmetology, Biomedical Technology)
- Preference will be given to applicants with a PhD in any of the above listed fields.
- At least 5 years relevant safety and risk assessment experience in his/her field of expertise.
- Excellent Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and internet
Method of application
The candidates should submit the following documents:
- Cover letter detailing the area and duration of expertise.
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of National Identity Card
All shortlisted applicants shall be required to submit and satisfy the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 including:
- Academic and professional certificates
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations;
- Tax Compliance Certificate from the Kenya Revenue Authority;
- Clearance Certificate from the Higher Education Loans Board;
- Clearance from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission;
- Report from an Approved Credit Reference Bureau;
The application should be sent address their cover letters to;
Chief Executive Officer
Pharmacy and Poisons Board
P.O Box 27663-00506
And submit their applications through the emails provided below with Subject of the email as “Application for Pharmacovigilance Expert Review & Advisory Committee (PERAC)
The closing date is on 3rd July 2020 at 4.00pm
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NB: Pharmacy and Poisons Board is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and gender equality. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.