Practical Action has an exciting opportunity for Communications and Marketing Manager in the East Africa Office.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Employment Status: Full time
We are an international development organisation putting ingenious ideas to work so people in poverty can change their world.
We help people find solutions to some of the world’s toughest problems. Challenges made worse by catastrophic climate change and persistent gender inequality.
We work with communities to develop ingenious, lasting and locally owned solutions for agriculture, water and waste management, climate resilience and clean energy. And we share what works with others, so answers that start small can grow big.
We’re a global change-making group. The group consists of a UK registered charity with community projects in Africa, Asia and Latin America, an independent development publishing company and a technical consulting service. We combine these specialisms to multiply our impact and help shape a world that works better for everyone.
We help people find solutions to some of the world’s toughest problems, made worse by catastrophic climate change and persistent gender inequality.
Our aims are to:
- Make agriculture work better for smallholder farmers, many of them women, so they can adapt to climate change and achieve a good standard of living
- Help more people harness the transformational effects of clean affordable energy and reduce avoidable deaths caused by smoke from indoor stoves and fires.
- Make cities in poorer countries cleaner, healthier places to live and work.
- Build disaster resilience into the lives of people threatened by hazards – reducing the risk of hazards and minimising their impact on lives and livelihoods.
Practical Action East Africa
In East Africa, Practical Action has a long history of addressing systemic barriers that prevent people from accessing energy that transforms their lives, helping communities and government make cities healthier and safer, making agriculture and markets work better for small holder farmers and supporting communities and government to become more resilient.
We use a mix of programming with communities and consultancy services with shapers of policy and practice to achieve our aims in Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania.
About the Role
This is an exciting opportunity to join an innovative and forward-thinking international development organization that puts ingenious ideas to work so people in poverty can change their world.
Reporting to the Head of Business Development, Marketing & Communications; this highly influential role will shape Practical Action’s regional communication strategy and marketing approach with the private sector in the region.
The Communications and Marketing Manager will take lead in designing and delivering innovative communications and marketing strategies that inspire public and private support, influence policy decisions and achieve Practical Action’s strategic ambitions.
The function will also be responsible for maintaining a positive public image of Practical Action and be responsible for rolling out Practical Action’s recently refreshed brand and new visual identity. The post holder will also be expected to build a team of sector experts to champion Practical Action’s strategic partnerships with corporates and opportunities with the growing private sector in Kenya and the region.
She/he is also responsible for and managing the regional office’s media-related activities and ensuring that Practical Action in Africa and globally is able to exploit the opportunities presented by Nairobi’s position as a regional media hub.
- Job Title: Communications & Marketing Manager
- Reporting to: Head of Business Development, Marketing and Communications
- Direct reports:
- Marketing / Corporate Engagement Officer (potential)
- Digital Media Officer ( potential)
- Communications Assistant
- Internally within the Business Development Team, Impact Team and Technical and Consulting Unit
- Externally with strategic partners relevant to expanding Practical Action’s brand and partnerships.
- Financial scope: TBC
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
- Grade: 8
- Travel: Moderate
Leadership and Strategic Alignment
- Lead Practical Action’s ‘out-of-the-box’ communications and marketing strategies, processes, products and tools, used to advance the organization’s strategic ambitions, vision and impact through its work.
- Lead the exploration of new in-country corporate fundraising markets, digital and social media engagement based on market research and new trends in the sector
- Lead development of internal and external communication protocols aligned to PA brand.
- Maintain creative direction, including features/functionality and value propositions for Practical Action’s work in the region.
- Serve as a key member of the team providing strategic inputs into organizational strategy, ensuring flows of information between management and relevant staff member.
- Lead, manage and motivate a team of communication & marketing experts, ensuring that they have clear work objectives and individual/team work plans and receive meaningful feedback on their performance.
Strengthening Profile, Generating Funding and Managing Relationships
- Lead in the development and nurturing of strategic relationships with the private sector and corporates to advance Practical Action’s change ambitions, contributing to Practical Action’s work externally.
- Lead Practical Action’s advocacy and knowledge generation and management strategies and initiatives to leverage maximum impact in line with our global change ambitions and cross cutting themes of gender inequality and climate change.
- Drive for evidence and internal/external learning to support change ambitions and widen our impacts in line with the Practical Action Framework for Change.
- Contribute to the development of proposals ensuring that they align with our strategic plans and will contribute to overall impact.
- Create communications partnerships that can complement fundraising partnerships or lead to fundraising partnerships in future.
- Lead the development of our brand and external positioning by taking advantage of national and international media based in Nairobi to bring the Practical Action story to new audiences across Africa and worldwide.
- Work closely with the Impact Team to capture and communicate Practical Action’s delivery impact aimed at enhancing visibility of our work.
- Lead Practical Action’s brand roll out internally, working with staff to understand and use the new brand.
- Continuously work to enhance Practical Action’s brand guidelines, its utility within a national context and with partners.
- Use Nairobi’s strategically important location as a regional media hub to generate relationships with key print, broadcast and digital journalists and generate positive coverage of Practical Action’s work across Africa in line with context specific engagement plans.
- Support website maintenance with high quality content and aesthetics re-design reflective of Practical Action approach and brand.
- Measure and report back of all digital and social KPIs and provide strategic and tactical recommendations based on insights gained.
- Ensure social media is being used effectively and innovatively to engage and connect public audiences with our campaign goals.
- Manage PA East Africa social media platforms and take responsibility for content sourcing, writing, editing and publishing.
- Manage Practical Action’s communication and marketing external service providers such as printers, translators, graphic designers, photographers, digital agencies and video editors.
To be successful in the role, the ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate:
Experience & Knowledge
- Experience and knowledge in ingenious marketing strategies.
- A Degree in relevant field such as Mass/media Communication / International relations / Journalism
- At least five years working experience in communications and documentation
- Experience directly working in or with the private sector and on corporate partnerships.
- Strong understanding of approaches for communicating information to a wide range of audiences including media relations
- Advanced proficiency in graphic design and photography
- Ability to multi task, work under pressure and to meet tight deadlines, responsive to external requests and strong team player.
- Excellent communication skills with excellent command of the English language.
- Ability to review and edit reports and products (in English) for dissemination and publications.
- Experience identifying target audiences and devising promotional and marketing strategies to engage, inform and motivate current and potential partners
- Willing and able to travel widely in country to support field teams.
- Experience working in a multi-faceted organization and with shared goals across global teams.
- Fluency in Swahili or other regional languages
- Excellent skills in social media planning, strategy and measurement
- Proven ability to communicate verbally with a wide range of actors and audiences.
- Post-graduate degree in relevant subject
- Proven experience in people management, performance management and supporting the learning and development of individuals.
- Videography and web design skills
In return, you will get an opportunity to work for an organization that is making a positive difference to the lives of people worldwide, a friendly and supportive culture, working with values driven and highly engaged colleagues – these are just some of the reasons we think Practical Action is a great place to work.
In addition, we offer the following benefits:
- Work week of 35 hours
- The opportunity to work remotely
- 25 days’ annual leave, in addition to public holidays.
- A pension scheme that new employees join immediately on employment – employer contributes 12.5% of gross salary. Employee contribution is voluntary
- Life assurance (5x annual salary).
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Communications and Marketing Manager” so as to reach Practical Action on or before Monday 29th June 2020.
We treat all applications for employment on their merits and do not take into consideration any factors that are not relevant to the job such as disability, race, age, religion, gender, gender reassignment or sexual orientation.
Practical Action are committed to safeguarding and protecting children and vulnerable adults and as such candidates will be subject to pre-employment checks.
The successful applicant must have the pre-existing right to both live and work in Kenya.