Scope of Work
Project / Consultancy Title: CREATE programme – development, capacity building and ongoing support to the mentorship programme
Project Location: Kenya
Background: Mercy Corps is implementing a multi-year, 12 million GBP Preventing Violent Extremism (PVE) programme funded by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office through the Conflict, Stability and Security Fund (CSSF).
This CREATE programme will engage local and national government, local civil society organizations and communities to mitigate the drivers, enablers and narratives of violent extremism in East Africa through support to policy initiatives, community engagement, and support to national civil society organizations in order to prevent the recruitment of vulnerable individuals by violent extremist organizations.
The programme will work in Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Mozambique and Uganda, through strategies adapted to the context and opportunities in each country to advance research, legislation and field implementation of programme activities.
Purpose / Project Description: The Programme Mentorship Technical Consultant will be brought into the programme to provide technical leadership in the design and delivery of the CREATE mentorship programme. He/she will be responsible for the development of the mentorship approach, training of the CREATE team and partners in the mentorship model and ongoing support to the CREATE team, partners and local mentors for an initial 6-9 month period.
He/she will work closely with the wider CREATE field and management teams to ensure the mentorship programme runs smoothly, to manage risks and to ensure that the mentorship activities inform and are integrated into the wider CREATE programme support to at-risk individuals.
The Consultant will:
- Provide leadership and strategic vision in the implementation of the mentorship programme including leading in design, selection and identification of the mentors, workplan development and implementation.
- Manage the recruitment, selection, and matching process of the mentors and the mentees
- Build the capacity of CREATE team members, CBO partners and mentors in the mentorship approach. Provide ongoing support and guidance during the implementation phase.
- Works with each mentoring pair to provide resources and resolve any issues
- Performs other duties that may arise from the mentoring programme that are necessary for programme success
The Consultant will:
- Design the CREATE programme mentorship approach including CREATE programme mentorship training materials for partners and mentors
- Provide ongoing support/site visits to mentors and programme partners during the 1st cycle of the programme
- Produce the final report on the programme’s 1st cycle of mentorship including observations, successes, challenges and recommendations for adaptations.
Timeframe / Schedule:
The consultancy will be conducted between September 2019 and December 2019
The Consultant will report to: Sarah Gibbons, Team Leader
The Consultant will work closely with: Local CBO partners and Mercy Corps field teams
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Peace Building and Conflict Resolution or related discipline. Master’s Degree is preferred.
- At least 5 years’ experience working knowledge of mentoring program policies and procedures
- Experience operating in insecure environments; demonstrated creative problem solving and conflict and ethical management skills.
- Solutions-oriented individual, with strong strategic thinking capabilities.
- Demonstrated effectiveness managing a diverse team of people, consortium partners and local implementing partners, building a cohesive and results-oriented team to deliver on complex programming result.
- Strong relationships management skills
- Experience working with a diverse range of community members to discuss sensitive and delicate topics in a conflict-sensitive manner.
- Excellent writing and reporting skills.
- Experience in guidance and counseling
- Excellent verbal and inter-personal communications skills.
- Demonstrated sensitivity, skill, and experience working within different cultural settings and navigating public affairs and communications on sensitive issues.
How to Apply
This opportunity is for individual consultants only. Please send your application and CV by Email with Subject line “Mentorship Consultant- CREATE” to email@example.com on or before 5pm EAT 3 3rd July 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please note: Acronyms must be spelled out at first mention. E.g. Training of Trainers (ToT) or Multi-Year Assistance Program (MYAP).