Background: The Evaluation of HIV Testing and Care in African Emergency Care for the Injured Study will be a prospective cohort design completed at a single site in Nairobi, Kenya.
The research will study acutely injured patients to assess the current state of HIV services delivery during emergency care.
The research will enroll and follow approximately 600 subjects and gather data during hospital services and after discharge on HIV testing, linkage to HIV treatment and patient perception of HIV program delivery during Accident and Emergency department treatments.
The results will be used to inform future research and public health initiatives that will be designed to increase HIV testing and treatment among populations commonly missed by conventional HIV programming and which often only interface with health systems via Accident and Emergency departments.
Job Title: Research / Study Nurse
Job Purpose: To screen, consent, enroll and follow up subjects for the collection of data for a prospective cohort study evaluating HIV services to patients seeking emergency care at the Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) Accident and Emergency (A&E) department.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen and enroll eligible participants into the study
- Ensure proper administration of consent procedures
- Administer screening and enrollment questionnaires to participants
- Utilize hard copy data forms to complete data collection
- Utilize mobile phones / devices to complete data collection
- Ensure that data are collected accurately and resolve any discrepancies
- Perform follow-up evaluations with participants in the hospital and through phone contact
- Present basic education about HIV testing and prevention
- Be able to refer participants for HIV testing and counseling as needed
- Prepare weekly, monthly and quarterly reports for the Study Coordinator
- Perform other duties as directed by study coordinator
- Diploma or degree in Nursing (KRCHN or BScN)
- Previous experience in clinical or research activities
- Specific experience with emergency care research desirable
- Familiarity with HIV-testing, prevention, and treatment strategies
- Basic computer skills particularly for Word-processing, spreadsheets and e-mail
- Strong communication skills in English and Kiswahili
Desirable qualities, skills and abilities:
- Experience with HIV testing or HIV treatment
- Experience with emergency care
- Certificate in Voluntary Counseling and Testing or HTC from NASCOP is an added advantage
- Familiarity with smart phone / device technology for data collection is an added advantage
- Training in research ethics
- Attention to detail and good work ethic
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Respectful, punctual, hardworking, conscientious
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a collaborative team
- Full-time position at 40 hours per week which will require working overnight and on weekends based on a variable schedule to accommodate study needs
- Position length is 3 months, provided good performance
- Competitive salary based on qualifications and experience
CLICK HERE to complite our online application form and then email your current CV, copies of certificates and testimonials to AESTUDY20@gmail.com not later than June 17, 2020
All applications should be addressed to the Principal Investigator AE Study.
N/B Applications without the above-mentioned qualifications or required certificates will NOT be considered.