UN Development Programme (UNDP)
Job Title: Human Resources Specialist
Reports to: Deputy Resident Representative – Operations
Grade Level: P3
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration and Type: One year, Fixed Term Appointment (FTA)
Job Purpose and Organizational Context
The UNDP Somalia Country Office carries out an important role in supporting Somalia to achieve its aspirations of peace, inclusive governance, lay the foundations for economic growth, and promote gender equity.
The UNDP Country Programme focuses on inclusive political processes, rule of law, institutional strengthening, economic recovery, resilience, and gender equity. Each UNDP focus area aligns to the country’s National Development Plan (NDP) in providing support that spurs transformative change and lasting peace.
UNDP Somalia has been improving its business processes, and increasing its presence and operations in Somalia, which will allow the CO to be more efficient, flexible and responsive to the country/government priorities. In addition, the increased presence in the area offices and new Federal Member States contributes to enhancing and building national staff capacities. Building office operational capacity then becomes imperative considering that more operations have been increasingly carried out inside Somalia.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative—Operations, the HR Specialist is responsible for providing advice to Senior Management on implementation of HR strategies, ensure effective delivery of HR services and manage the HR Unit. S/he assesses client needs, interprets and applies HR strategies and policies, rules and regulations, establishes internal procedures and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex HR issues. The HR Specialist promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach and contributes to the maintenance of high staff morale.
The HR Specialist supervises and leads the members of the HR Unit team. S/he works in close collaboration with operations, programme and projects teams as well as UNDP headquarters units to analyze strategic business needs, formulate HR strategies and implement corporate HR programmes to attract, develop, motivate and retain the most suitable talent at the CO.
Duties and Responsibilities
1) Ensures implementation of HR strategies and policies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of HR strategy in the CO; effective implementation of the internal controls; proper design and functioning of the HR management system.
- Full compliance of HR activities with UN rules and regulations, UNDP policies, procedures and strategies. Interpretation of HR policies and regulations and advice to senior managers on their applications, taking into account their particular needs.
- Continuous analysis of corporate HR strategy and policies, assessing the impact of changes and making recommendations on their implementation in the CO. Continuous research of the matters related to conditions of service, salaries, allowances and other HR policy matters. Elaboration and introduction of measurement indicators, monitoring and reporting on achievement of results.
- Advice to Senior Management on HR new practices and their implementation (succession planning, career development and transition), strategic recruitment, advice on contract modalities, learning plan and performance evaluation). Recommend solutions to highly complex and exceptional cases.
- CO HR business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management, control of the workflows in the HR Unit.
- Leads the advocacy for the implementation, monitoring and compliance of the HR policies including gender and harassment, career development and knowledge management. Full compliance and completion by CO s/m of the Harassment course.
- Development of procedures and practices that contribute to enhanced and improved HR management
2) Ensures effective human resources management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Management of transparent and competitive recruitment and selection processes including updated job descriptions, proper job classification, vacancy announcement, screening of candidates, organization and chairing of interview panels, making recommendations on recruitment. Oversight and advisory support of recruitment under UNDP projects. Development and maintenance of data base of job applications.
- Advise on entitlements and career prospects.
- Advice to office management on staff member competencies. Advice on staff member career development and training needs through the PMD.
- Advice to project managers on transparent and competitive process for project recruitment, adequate TOR describing terms of payment based on results, standard matrix of recruitment processes and request for contracts. Continuous monitoring of the entire UNDP project recruitment process.
- Full compliance of the guidelines of the Compliance Review Panel.
- Advice to the CO management in contracts guidelines pertaining to staffing compliance. Monitoring and tracking of all transactions related to positions, recruitment, HR data, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivity, recoveries, adjustments and separations through Atlas.
- Performs HR Manager Functions in Atlas. Leads corporate surveys as the Salary Survey, Global Staff Survey and other request from HQ´s and the CO Resident Representative.
- Management of the International staff entitlements and position funding delegated to the HR Unit. Close communication with local Government institutions to solve international staff-related issues.
- Close communication with HQ´s focal points pertaining to the correct administration of s/m entitlements and benefits.
- Validation of cost-recovery charges in Atlas for HR services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
3) Ensures proper staff performance management and career development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Elaboration and implementation of the protocol for performance appraisal process, facilitation of the process, elaboration of performance evaluation indicators in consultation with the Senior Management.
- Implementation of effective systems for the performance evaluation, including training to supervisor for an effective use of the tool leading to career development. Advice on work plan, monitoring and performance team evaluation.
- Effective learning management including establishment of the CO Learning Committee and Whole Office Learning plan and individual learning plans in collaboration with the Senior Management
- Provision of effective counseling to staff on career advancement, development needs, learning possibilities.
4) Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Design and implementation of training for operations/ programme staff on HR issues.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in HR.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Competencies and Selection Criteria
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Technical / Functional
Human Resources Management
- Knowledge of HR management issues and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations
- Ability to motivate and inspire internal resources
- Knowledge of organizational development concepts, issues and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of professionals towards common goals
- Ability to effectively communicate intensions and requirements to internal and external stakeholders
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in HR, Business Administration, Management, Public Administration, Law or related field.
- UNDP HR Certification programme would be desirable but not a requirement
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing HR advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems.
- International Experience in post conflict settings
- Knowledge of UN Staff Regulations and Rules and Personnel Directives
- Knowledge of UNDP HR Policies & Procedures, rules and regulations
- Knowledge of ATLAS HR Modules, internal financial management and control framework(s) is required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in written and spoken English required.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to submit applications online.
Closing Date: 15 June 2020