MdM – France
Terms of Reference for the Production of a Video Documentary on the MDM Harm Reduction Program in Nairobi Kenya
Requested by: Program Coordinator Harm Reduction Program
Context: MdM – France is an impartial and independent humanitarian non-governmental organization (NGO) that provides healthcare to populations affected by armed conflicts, internal violence, natural disasters, poverty, drought, famine and exclusion.
The Kenya Harm reduction Programme was established in 2013 to combat HIV and viral Hepatitis among people who inject drugs in Nairobi county.
The program is implemented through a static site known as Drop In Centre to provide safe space for people who use drugs in addition to other services and through daily outreaches to drug using sites.
Services offered include; information and behavior change communication, viral hepatitis screening, vaccination and treatment, HIV testing and linkage to care, overdose prevention and management, Needles and syringe program, linkage and follow up to opioid substitution therapy, promotion of human rights, fighting criminalization and preventing violence and socio-economic reintegration.
At the drop in center hygiene and nutritional services are offered in addition to medical services.
In August 2019 MDM started the first pilot project to integrate the Harm Reduction program into a public health facility in Nairobi. Westland Health centre has been providing Harm Reduction services to People who use drugs for a period of one year.
In December 2019, MdM handed over the drop-in centre and outreach activities to SAPTA trust. SAPTA took over the activities in January 2020 with Global fund support.
To better raise public awareness of our work, strengthen our visibility and document MDMs work in Kenya after mission closure to improve advocacy efforts, MdM would like to recruit a consultant to help produce a video documentary that captures our key results, successes and challenges, best practices and lessons learnt from the program.
The video documentary will focus on the impact of MdM’s work in Nairobi Kenya by highlighting success stories of beneficiaries of the intervention across the entire spectrum of our programming.
The Objectives and Target Audience
The overall objective of the assignment is to produce a documentary film on MDM Harm reduction program in Kenya highlighting best approaches, best practices, achievements and real impacts in the Programme focal areas.
Specific tasks for the Service Provider
Under the direct supervision of MdM Harm reduction Program Coordinator, the service provider will be required to do the following:
- Develop the documentary film’s overall concept and scenario, that will be approved by MdM.
- Interview selected participants for the film who will include beneficiaries, MDM program staff, Ministry of health partners, community leaders and law enforcement agency representative.
- Visit 6 selected project sites and interact with the local communities/beneficiaries who have been impacted by the MDM Harm Reduction Program to get context. The sites will be selected as follows: 3 in Dagoretti, (2 in Kawangware hotspot and DIC, 1 in Ndunyu,) 3 in Westland sub-county (1 in mountain view , 1 in Westland hotspot and 1 Health center).
- Develop the documentary script and storyboard to be used in the film.
- Perform appropriate video filming and shoot interviews with the program’s beneficiaries and stakeholders. (Peer educators, PWUDs, MoH, Community leaders and Law enforcers)
- Present a draft documentary for comments on contents.
- Produce one final documentary film in DVD of 20 – 30min long
Output / Deliverables
- Submit a storyboard and script for the documentary to MdM for approval before filming;
- Present draft documentary to MDM at the end of the field mission for incorporation of comments;
- Produce an edited Video Recording of the scenarios captured, and the footage of the recorded stories.
- Present a complete 20-30-minute documentary film version, and hand over 2 master copies of each version to MDM
Required Qualifications and Experience of the Service Provider
The service provider will be required to have the following:
- More than 5years experience working in similar field
- Extensive experience in producing development work related documents for publication and documentaries for international organizations with the aim of reaching both local and international audiences
- Experience in working with other international organizations .
- Local knowledge of the PWUD context in Nairobi.
- Excellent technical capacities (state of the art filming equipment preferably High Definition) to ensure smooth and high-quality production.
- Experience in development communication
Duration of the Assignment
- The assignment is expected to take 30 working days from the date of signing the contract.
All information pertaining to this project (documentary, audio, digital, cyber, project documents, etc) belonging to the client, which the service provider may come into contact with in the performance of his/her, duties under this consultancy shall remain the property of MdM who shall have exclusive rights over their use.
Except for purposes of this assignment, the information shall not be disclosed to the public nor used in whatever form without written permission of MdM contractual arrangements and supervision
The service will be hired under MDM terms of contract and supervised by MDM program coordinator for the purpose of delivering the above outputs, within the agreed time frame.
MDM as the client shall provide necessary support to the service provider in order to execute the assignment during the duration of the consultancy.
These shall include:
- Access to relevant project documents necessary for execution of the duties under this consultancy;
- Contact details of relevant people to be interviewed
Equipment for the Assignment
- No equipment will be purchased or provided by MDM. Any equipment needed to complete this assignment will be provided by the service provider.
The service provider’s payment shall be based on the financial proposal developed for this consultancy.
Payment shall be made in three installments of;
- 40% down payment upon submission of an inception report acceptable to the client
- 40% upon submission of an acceptable draft film documentary and
- 20% final payment upon submission of the final outputs, incorporating suggestions and recommendations from MdM
Applicants are required to submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
A Technical Proposal:
- Letter of Interest, stating why you consider your service suitable for the assignment and a brief methodology on the approach and implementation of the assignment.
- Personal CVs of technical personnel proposed for this project highlighting qualifications and experience in similar projects;
- Work references – contact details (e-mail addresses) of referees (firms for whom you’ve produced similar assignments);
- Financial proposal indicating consultancy fee and a breakdown of expenses (unit price together with any other expenses) related to the assignment; and
- Sample work previously done for other clients.
Deadline for submission of quotes/ proposals is 18th June 2020.