I. Job Details
1. Department: Programmes / Regional Directorate
2. Country / Location: Kenya / Nairobi
3. FundsPro cost allocation: KEN1177 (e.g. 000017.2.1.)
4. Job Title: Country Director (m/f)
5. Title of job holder: N/A
6. Salary Group: SG 10
7. Immediate superior (in disciplinary matters): Regional Director
8. Subordinate position(s): Country Management Team (Heads of Units, Heads of Projects / Area Manager)
- represents: to be decided on relevant occasions
- is represented by: a member of the Country Management Team (to be decided)
10. Contract period: 2 year
II. Objectives, duties, areas of responsibility
1. Objectives of the position
The Country Director develops and manages an impact-oriented country program that generates a relevant and visible contribution to the overall development in the country.
In doing so he/she takes into consideration the overall WHH strategy and mandate and ensures adherence to WHH quality standards.
The Country Director ensures that WHH is recognized as a competent partner by participating in relevant humanitarian and development policy dialogues on local / regional level.
The Country Director ensures sound financial management of the allocated WHH funds for the country programme and is responsible for the acquisition of sufficient additional funding either through public funding sources or private donations.
As part of his/her responsibility, the Country Director organises measures to ensure the safety and security of employees, projects and the organisation.
As part of the Global Management Team the Country Director plays an active role in strengthening of the overall organizational performance and learning.
2. Duties and area of responsibility
2.1 Duties with own area of responsibility
Development and Management of the Country Programme
- Develops needs based & impact oriented country programme and annual planning (in line with WHH and regional strategy)
- Ensures relevance of Welthungerhilfe work to the overall development in the country in accordance with WHH mandate to fight hunger and alleviate poverty
- Ensures close coordination with the Humanitarian Assistance Team in case of a crises (protracted, slow onset or sudden)
- Manages the allocation of assigned WHH funds
- Decides on co-financing opportunities to be pursued according to the principles of subsidiarity and the existing annual planning
- Identifies co-financing opportunities and ensures the timely development of successful project proposals in line with the relevant donor regulations and strategies
- Establishes good working relationships with donors and other stakeholders in-country / regional for emergency, rehabilitation and development programmes
- Reports to the RD/Director of Programmes on the progress of the country programme and all risks associated with the project work
- Observes, analyses and reports on relevant trends in the programme country and the neighbouring areas (e.g. monitoring of general developmental trends, early warning signs of disasters, political unrest and potentials for crisis)
- Elaborates and ensures a preparedness plan for disasters and potential crises on the basis of country specific situation
- Initiates and requests support from Sector, Donor and Finance Coordination Unit necessary to adhere to the relevant WHH and external standards
- Manages staff according to WHH leadership principles, staff policies and WHH strategy
- Recruits staff (expatriates and national)
- Is responsible for the Country Office management
- Ensures efficiency of the country office structure (ratio programme – needed resources) and high levels of quality
- Is responsible for the establishment and adherence to the country wide security management system (establishment of functioning security plans etc.) in accordance to the global security policy / guidelines of Welthungerhilfe
- Ensures the provision of staff resources in case of major disasters or crises
Representation, Collaboration and Networking
- Represents WHH in-country vis-à-vis all relevant national and international stakeholders and partners (incl. UN-Cluster to ensure responsiveness in cases of disasters and crises).
- Expands WHH network with relevant stakeholders from civil society, government and academia.
- Ensures representation and active participation in coordination committees of (I)NGOs
- Ensures representation and active participation in International Organization and Government bodies
- Expands the A2015 collaboration and networking
- Accompanies visiting donors and WHH headquarter staff or journalists or appoints adequate representation
- Participates in local development policy and advocacy dialogue and observes relevant trends in this regard
2.2 Duties without own area of responsibility
- Contributes to the overall organizational development and strategies, actively participates in strategic discussions and keeps herself/ himself informed of the overall organizational topics
- Actively participates in the Regional Directorate Management forum and development of the Directorate’s tasks and strategic planning (in coordination with management)
- Fulfilment of any other tasks which are assigned by management and correspond in general with the character of this position
2.3 Specific Activities and duties of the position
- Relevant experience in development cooperation and humanitarian aid operations in developing countries,
- Proven over 10 years of experience in management or leading positions, including financial and HR management in a multi-cultural working environment,
- Skills in emergency preparedness and response,
- Advanced University degree (Masters) preferably in International Affairs, Political or Social Sciences, or Development Studies or related fields
- Postgraduate Diploma in Project Management
- Experience in working with local organizations and authorities, UN agencies and international NGOs,
- Experience in forming partnerships with local implementing partners
- Experience in fundraising for international institutional agencies and managing budgets with diverse donor base,
- Experience in developing strategic and operational partnerships with donors, other
- INGOs and national level NGOs for project and advocacy interventions,
- Good interpersonal and communication skills,
- Ability to work under pressure,
- A clear and sound understanding of international development (policy and programme), especially in the water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), Food and Nutrition Security and Disaster Risk Reduction Management projects,
- Good command of English and German as working languages,
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and excellent knowledge of FundsPro and ProMIS software is a prerequisite
Interested, qualified applicants are encouraged to submit
(1) One-page motivation letter indicating expected salary and availability,
(2) Detailed CV including 3 referees, 2 of which MUST be from previous employment.
Submit applications to: email@example.com
not later than 1st July 2020
The HR Manager,
Deutsche Welthungerhilfe e.V.,
P.O. Box 38829-00623
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Welthungerhilfe is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices neither does it charge any fee for recruitment.