UN World Food Programme – Somalia
Vacancy Announcement No. 008/2020
Post Title: Logistics Assistant (Cash-Based Transfers)
Contract type: Fixed Term
Post Grade: G-5
Duty Station: Hargeisa
Duration: 1 year (initial)
Date of Issue: 8th June 2020
Closing Date: 21st June 2020
Organizational Background: The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide.
The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme Somalia activities include food assistance for relief, school feeding, nutrition, food for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers and safety nets.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the National Logistics Officer and the overall supervision of the Head of Hargeisa Area Office, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assist and monitor retailer’s performance in the implementation of their activities for Cash Based Transfers (CBT);
- Carry out retailer monitoring and shop visits to assess the retailer’s adherence to the Retailers Code of Conduct;
- Assist in the follow-up of any complaints from the Beneficiary Hotlines and retailers and provide feedback;
- Assist in the monitoring of market prices, checking the availability of commodities, food quality, food expiry dates and general hygiene at retailer shops;
- Assist in the capacity building and training of retailers in the use of Point of Sale machines;
- Assist retailers in checking their transactions and the correct uploading of reports. Ensure that all transactions sent by retailers have been correctly uploaded in the system and provide feedback to retailers;
- Keep a clear inventory of all retailer Point of Sale machines in use;
- Support on E-commerce and ensure all retailers across the country are registered on the WFP eshop application;
- Train Retailers and Beneficiaries on the use of the WFP eshop Application;
- Provide support to logistics operations and activities to ensure the effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries;
- Provide assistance during operational planning and monthly food dispatches from the warehouse;
- Assist in the capturing receipt of commodities in the corporate information system;
- Work closely with the warehouse team to ensure no discrepancies exist between the physical and systems stocks;
- Prepare customs clearance documentation for food and non-food items;
- Work closely with concerned line ministries to ensure customs clearance approvals are obtained on time;.
- Maintain filing systems and archives for easy retrieval of information;
- Perform any other related duties as required.
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary secondary training or certificate in the related functional field is desirable.
Experience: At least four years of progressively of responsible support experience in logistics operations. Experience in cash-based transfers and retail management is desirable.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somali is a requirement.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Sound knowledge in innovative developments in cash-based transfers technologies and retail engagement strategies;
- Demonstrated experience in retailer onboarding process, retailer relationship management and supply chain and corridor monitoring;
- Hands on logistics experience in the UN or INGOs is desirable.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications through E-Recruitment using the following link:
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WFP seeks applicants of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
WFP is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Selection of candidates is made on a competitive basis.