Introduction: DSW Kenya is a non-governmental organisation registered in Kenya as one of the East African country offices of Deutsche Stiftung Weltbevölkerung (DSW), a global development organisation founded and headquartered in Germany.
DSW Kenya focuses on the needs and potential of the largest youth generation in history.
We are committed to creating demand for and access to health information, services and supplies for youth, and to securing their right for a brighter future.
We achieve this by engaging in advocacy, capacity development, and family planning initiatives, which make sure that youth are empowered to lead healthy and self-determined lives.
Established in May 2000, DSW Kenya has its headquarters in Nairobi with additional offices in Mombasa and Kitale and active programme interventions in 16 counties: Bungoma, Embu, Busia, Kakamega, Kilifi, Kwale, Laikipia, Meru, Mombasa, Nairobi, Nakuru, Nandi, Nyandarua, Trans Nzoia, Uasin Gishu, and West Pokot.
DSW seeks to recruit a Programme Officer, Youth Engagement.
Department: Programs and Projects.
Place of Duty: Nairobi.
Supervisor: International Programme Coordinator.
Overall Responsibilities: The Programme Officer (PO), Youth Engagement is responsible for successfully coordinating DSW’s youth empowerment programme in line with the Youth Empowerment Strategic Approach (YESA).
The Programme Officer will work closely with the Regional Team Lead, respective Regional and Country Office Programme Teams that contribute to the attainment of YESA.
- Monitor the implementation of DSWs Youth Empowerment Strategy in the region and support organisational lesson learning.
- Support Country offices in the design of programmes and projects for the delivery of the Youth Empowerment strategy.
- Ensure the Youth Empowerment Strategy is mainstreamed in all DSW programmes.
- Take lead in the development of IEC materials including manuals, protocols and tools necessary for delivery of the Youth empowerment programmes.
- Support country office teams in the development of training curriculum and delivery of capacity development modules.
- Engage in regular exchanges as a member of the regional team, with the Team Lead, and country programme staff.
- Support maintenance and regular update of young people’s databases across Country offices.
- In collaboration with Country Office teams, coordinate exchanges and learning sessions for youth.
- In close coordination with the Team Lead and country programme staff, participate in stakeholder meetings.
- Provide guidance and support in the contextualization and packaging of youth programming work to enable decision making around youth programming.
- Prepare periodic updates on DSW youth empowerment programmes.
- Support resource mobilization for the youth empowerment strategy.
- In collaboration with Country office programme teams, undertake surveys to ensure safe and conducive working environment for young people.
- Support the planning, organisation and logistical preparations for events and workshops.
- Any other duty as assigned by the supervisor.
Requirement & experience
- Bachelors’ Degree in Social Sciences or related field.
- Relevant training in Project Management, participatory methodologies and related fields an added advantage.
- Must have at least 3 years experience working with young people in an NGO setting.
- Good understanding of youth and women empowerment and reproductive health issues.
- Good networking and capacity building skills, good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with and understand the youth while maintaining professionalism is key.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Leadership and problem solving skills.
- Conversant with the use of digital platforms.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- High level of personal integrity.
- He/she must have initiative and be able to work effectively under pressure independently and with a team.
How to Apply
If interested, please send your application (CV and motivation letter stating your current and expected salary) with the reference “Programme Officer, Youth Engagement” clearly indicated in the email subject line to: email@example.com
Deadline for application: 22 July, 2020 COB.
Ideal start date: Immediate.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
DSW is an equal opportunity employer and does not require applicants to pay money at any stage during the recruitment process.