Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Position Title: Graphic Designer (SC6)
Vacancy Announcement No: FAO/009/2020
Duty Station: Nairobi
Contract Type: NPP (Service Contract)
Duration: 6 Months (Extension Subject to Performance and Availability of Funds)
Organizational Unit: FAO-Somalia
Anticipated Start Date: Immediately
General Description of Tasks and Objectives to be Achieved: Under the direct Supervision of the Nutrition Officer, and in close collaboration with the emergency team and translator, the designer will design the guidelines, messages and other materials as required taking into account the specificities of the regional context.
Specifically the duties and responsibilities of the Graphic Designer will include;
- Creation and development of initial design concepts and work on the layout / artwork / illustration for the guidelines and materials as required;
- Develop, adapt, review and edit artworks, photos, charts and other graphics in the document;
- Ensure that all materials are produced in line with FAO graphic guidelines;
- Perform other duties as required.
Key Performance Indicators
- Initial design and layout of training materials for different audiences
- First draft of the materials for different audiences in English and Somali
- Creation and inclusion of illustrations to complement specified texts for the pamphlets targeting the fisheries sector for different audiences in English and Somali
- Final copies of the all materials and online programs in English and Somali for print
- Specifications of the to all the designed materials to facilitate printing and dissemination
Academic and Work Experience Qualifications
- University degree in Graphic Design, or other related field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in graphic design.
- Strong theoretical and practical background in graphic design
- Show a clear and mature style of design, demonstrating an understanding of the communication requirements of a UN agency
- Proven experience of graphic production from start to published/printed product with knowledge of printing processes (offset and digital) and colour management;
- In depth knowledge of Adobe CS platforms, specifically InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop Knowledge of Premiere or other video editing software could be an advantage
- Ability to create designs for the web and in CMS platforms, such as WordPress, Drupal or other Content Management Systems
- Ability to create a campaign concept and translate it across different mediums/experiences
- Good understanding of new and evolving technologies and digital platforms;
- Attention to detail combined with the ability to work quickly to meet multiple deadlines
- Eagerness to acquire new knowledge on nutrition
- Ability to work within a team of professional staff from diverse technical and cultural backgrounds and expertise
- Experience working in the Horn of Africa, and in particular in the Somalia context, will be considered as an advantage
- Excellent communication skills and a strong commitment to customer service in creating visual concepts that meet the needs of the client and are effective with audiences
- Strong leadership and consensus building ability working in a complex, matrixed environment with different stakeholders to ensure the continual evolution of drafts toward a final product
- Working knowledge (level C) of the FAO official language used for communication within the country (English) is required.
- Basic CSS and HTML capabilities
- In depth knowledge of the MS Office suite of software
Interpersonal Communications and Teamwork Skills:
- The incumbent must possess a cooperative spirit, flexibility and openness to work in an international environment. Tact and courtesy.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural background.
Candidates are requested to submit a covering letter quoting the Position Title and Vacancy Announcement No. FAO/009/2020 along with their current/detailed Curriculum Vitae.
E-mail is the preferred means of receipt and the application should be sent to HR-Somalia@fao.org.
Deadline for Application: 22st July 2020
Applications must be received by the deadline.
Only short listed candidates meeting all essential qualifications will be contacted.