The study “Enhancing integrated delivery of PrEP within antenatal care with STI testing and expedited partner treatment”, (POC-STI) has a broad aim to optimize PrEP delivery for pregnant women, a target population for HIV prevention, and provide a Xpert® CT / NG testing / EPT model applicable to broader populations.
We are looking to hire a laboratory technologist for our research team based in Kisumu, Yala sub-county hospital.
We are committed to excellence in our research, and to working with vulnerable populations with the utmost respect and care.
We require all team members to provide ethical and respectful services to vulnerable, key populations, and to maintain flexible hours in order to interface effectively with international partners.
The Laboratory Technician will be responsible for handling and processing of study samples on a daily basis, testing of samples and follow-up of lab results.
The technician will strictly follow the laboratory SOPs and maintain laboratory results database and sample inventory.
S/he will be reported to the Project Director and Principal Investigator.
S/he must be able to work with minimal supervision and for long hours when necessary.
Responsibilities will include:
- Carry out routine and specialized laboratory procedures, testing for CT and NG infections.
- Collecting, preparing and/or testing samples.
- Performing isolations, cryopreservation and archiving samples.
- Ensure laboratory results are entered accurately and in a timely manner on the report forms and into the database and facilitate retrieval of hard copies of data as requested by principal
- Investigators, Co-investigator and clinic staff.
- Prepare samples for storage and shipping as needed.
- Maintaining, calibrating, cleaning and testing sterility of equipment.
- Ordering and maintaining stock resources.
- Prepare, revise and operate within standard operating procedures.
- Diploma or higher degree in Biological Sciences from a major institution of higher education.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to interact productively with other team members
- Must have experience with the GeneXpert® platform
- Excellent Communication skills (written and verbal)
- Computer literate with working knowledge of Microsoft office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Desirable qualities, skills and abilities:
- BSc Biological Sciences will be an added advantage.
- Experience in Good Laboratory practice (GLP) would be an added advantage
Applications must include the following:
- Complete CV with 2 referees indicating their telephone contacts and email contacts
- Relevant certificates and testimonials
If qualified for the above post, please CLICK HERE to fill our online application form and then send your application addressed to the Principal Investigator, POC-STI Study and your CV to the email firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are due not later than 3rd August 2020
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.