Introduction: DSW Kenya is a non-governmental organisation registered in Kenya as one of the East African country offices of Deutsche Stiftung Weltbevölkerung (DSW), a global development organisation founded and headquartered in Germany.
DSW Kenya focuses on the needs and potential of the largest youth generation in history.
We are committed to creating demand for and access to health information, services and supplies for youth, and to securing their right for a brighter future.
We achieve this by engaging in advocacy, capacity development, and family planning initiatives, which make sure that youth are empowered to lead healthy and self-determined lives.
Established in May 2000, DSW Kenya has its headquarters in Nairobi with additional offices in Mombasa and Kitale and active programme interventions in 16 counties: Bungoma, Embu, Busia, Kakamega, Kilifi, Kwale, Laikipia, Meru, Mombasa, Nairobi, Nakuru, Nandi, Nyandarua, Trans Nzoia, Uasin Gishu, and West Pokot.
DSW seeks to recruit a National Department Manager – Finance & Administration.
Place of Work: DSW Kenya Country Office, Nairobi.
Reporting to: Country Director
The National Department Manager- Finance & Administration (NDM-F&A) is the primary financial, and Administrative Officer of the Kenya Country Office (KCO).
The NDM-F&A is responsible for efficient management and coordination of finance and administrative functions of DSW Kenya.
S/he ensures that financial and administrative functions support the timely and effective implementation of the projects’ technical scope of work.
Under the leadership of the Country Director (CD), the NDM-F&A ensures that resources are allocated and used in compliance with contractual requirements, following the appropriate DSW standards and procedures.
S/he works in close collaboration with the CD to liaise with donors/partners and with DSW’s Head Office regarding the annual audit, the budgeting process, as well as aspects of project implementation related to finance and administration and ensures procurement integrity standards are maintained in all DSW Kenya operations.
NDM-F&A is primarily responsible for ensuring that DSW Kenya office functions efficiently and in compliance with all DSW financial and administrative procedures. S/he will;
- Direct financial management activities including accounting and payroll and ensure that DSW Kenya office complies with statutory and donors’ financial reporting requirements as well as internal accounting and reporting standards.
- Implement DSW standard procedures to manage and monitor the financial resources of the Country Office. This includes ensuring that all payments comply with DSW rules and regulations and are supported by adequate documentation.
- Lead and coordinates the annual audit process including the close consultation with DSW Head Office as well as ensures adherence with the monthly closing process in place.
- Engage in the budgeting process for project budgets with Resource Mobilisation and Programmes & Projects as well as leads the development and review of the annual budget of the organisation.
- In close collaboration with the National Department Manager, Programmes and Projects ensure programme activities adhere to budget guidelines and allocations and comply with project contractual requirements.
- Ensure policy adherence, proper management and documentation of payments including per diems, transport to participants and other field expenses in communication with Project Officers.
- Ensure timely coordination and close liaison with projects officers for preparation and submission of all financial and administrative reports
- Oversee the administration of the local bank accounts to ensure adequate allocation of finances.
- Supervise management of petty cash, ensure all purchases are properly documented, approved and comply with petty cash standard policy and local management policy; provide feedback on possible changes to the system to adhere to internal controls.
- Plan, coordinate and assure the payment of salaries; assess the efficiency of the payroll system and recommend possible changes going forward.
Procurement and Office Administration:
- Provide oversight to procurement and logistics services, including but not limited to procuring goods and services in accordance with DSW policy and standards.
- Provide guidance, advice and support to ensure procurement processes are effective, efficient, ethical and provide the best value to DSW Kenya.
- Direct all administrative and office operations activities to include procurement, inventory and maintenance of equipment, supplies and services in compliance with DSW and donor requirements.
- Ensure appropriate insurance covers are taken.
- Oversee the IT management and functioning all systems.
- Manage office facilities and in coordination with the Country Director, negotiate office space leases and ensure proper office and equipment allocation for current and newly hired staff.
- Supervise and manage departmental staff.
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Requirements and experience
- A successful candidate must possess a Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration, and a first degree in Finance, Economics or related field.
- Must have a CPA (K) and a member of Institute of Certified Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK).
- S/he must have at least five (5) years’ professional experience in Finance and Administration and at least three (3) years in management functions preferably in an NGO setting.
- S/he must have hands on experience of SUN Systems 6.3 and other accounting systems
- Must be proficient with advanced Excel and other relevant computer applications, experience with Visual Basic would be a strong asset.
- Proven and in-depth experience in donor reporting and financial management in an NGO setting as well as in-depth knowledge of donor regulations
- Experience in procurement and administrative systems.
How to Apply
If interested, please send your application (CV and motivation letter stating your current and expected salary) with the reference “National Department Manager – Finance & Administration” clearly indicated in the email subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for application: 22 July, 2020 COB.
Ideal start date: Immediate.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
DSW is an equal opportunity employer and does not require applicants to pay money at any stage during the recruitment process.