Norwegian Refugee Council
Job Re-Advertised: Regional Media and Communications Adviser
Kenyan National Position
Region: East Africa & Yemen
Employment Type: Contract
Webcruiter ID: 4208387590
The role holder will be the media focal point for NRC in the region.
The RMCA will produce content for NRC’s communication channels, provide communications and media support to the Country Oﬃces (COs), pioneer the creative use of media tools in delivering impact within our humanitarian programmes and support a broad range of communication activities from Regional Oﬃce and Head Oﬃce
Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish the format and cycle of country communications plan development, and maintain oversight of these plans;
- Initiate, produce and support the production of strong communication products to enhance NRC’s influencing work, build its profile across audiences, as well as public engagement and fundraising;
- Pitch and manage interviews, press releases and field visits to international and local media outlets to draw attention to humanitarian needs and neglected crises, NRC’s work and public advocacy issues;
- Manage media interviews of NRC staff;
- Provide media interview training for NRC staff;
- Ensure the regional social media platforms are updated on a regular basis as agreed with HO media;
- Produce and update regular media talking points and support NRC’s contingency communications plans; including rapid reactive responses to events in the region
- Coordinate content harvesting in the region on behalf of NRC HO with fundraising purpose;
- Participate in programme design processes to advise how media and communications tools could be used to enhance NRC’s programme delivery for greater impact;
- Train country teams to develop appropriate donor visibility and fulfill their donor visibility obligations;
- Prepare periodic reports and summaries for the management on regional and national media activities and share these with the Regional Director
- Develop and maintain a strong media network for the region, including building relations with journalists and content developers
- Establish and maintain a network of freelance content teams such as photographers and video editors based in the region.
More details can be found in this job description.
- University degree in Media, Communications or any course relevant to the role is required
- Three years’ of senior work experience as a media/communications role – preferably related to development/humanitarian crises or an established career in media within the East Africa and Yemen region;
- Experience in producing: Content for different target audiences, social media content, photos and videos and editing the same
- Demonstrated ability to find new and creative media and communication angles on stories and pitches;
- Field experience from complex emergencies is desirable;
- Fluency in written and verbal English is essential
We are looking for someone who will establish long-term media relationships in the region, and support eight Country Offices within E.A & Yemen region, with developing media/communications strategies and capacity, and better integrating media within programmes.
- Good communicator with strong networking skills
- Ability to multitask with large workload and manage work pressure with limited supervision
- Well-structured and with an ability to deliver on short deadlines
- Patient, flexible and creative; it helps to have a sense of humor
- Diplomatic and ability to communicate openly and with respect
- Ability to work effectively with others across a broad range of topics and contexts.
We can offer
Contract Duration: 1 year, renewable subject to availability of funding
Job Grade: 9
Travel: 50% within the East Africa & Yemen region
Duty station: Nairobi
*Open to Kenyan Nationals Only*
CLICK HERE to apply online.
Application deadline: 23/07/2020
Those who previously applied need not re-apply
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee.
We work in crises across more than 30 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights.
NORCAP is a global provider of expertise that contributes to solving challenges in the humanitarian, development and peacebuilding sectors. Our ultimate goal is to strengthen the resilience, and protect the lives, rights and livelihoods of vulnerable people and communities
NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.