Job Opportunity: REACH Regional Coordinator / GIS Specialist
Position: REACH Regional Coordinator / GIS Specialist
Direct Hierarchy: Country Director- Horn of Africa
Contract duration: One year
Duty Station: Nairobi with regular travels to other countries in the Region
Starting Date: September 2020
ACTED is a non-governmental organization whose vocation is to support vulnerable populations worldwide and to accompany them in building a better future.
ACTED was created in 1993, is governed by the French law and has its headquarters in Paris, France.
ACTED Kenya is looking for a self-driven and a self-oriented professional to fill the following post:
REACH Regional Coordinator / GIS Specialist
Under the authority of the Country Director, his/her specific duties will include:
1. Programme Development and Fundraising
1.1 Context analysis: Ensure IMPACT has an up-to-date understanding of:
- The country’s socio-economic situation, the impact of a crisis and the aid/humanitarian situation;
- The aid/humanitarian planning, coordination and response mechanisms, as well as key aid/humanitarian stakeholders.
1.2 Programme development and roll out: Take a lead role in developing, implementing and reviewing programme strategies and identifying strategic opportunities for strengthening IMPACT’s work in the countries, and in particular:
- Consolidate and strengthen ongoing programming and operations;
- Ensure IMPACT activities are relevant and have a measurable impact on the aid/humanitarian response;
- Identify new areas in which IMPACT can add value to the aid/humanitarian response;
- Formalize a country strategy in alignment with global/regional strategies, priorities and programmes.
1.3 Donor relationship and Proposal development
- In close coordination with IMPACT HQ, approach donors to identify funding to support IMPACT’s programmes (including, as relevant, REACH, PANDA and AGORA) in country;
- Oversee project proposal conceptualisation (problem statement, logframe) within the framework of the countries, regional and global strategy, review with ACTED and/or other relevant country partners as relevant, and submit proposal to HQ Grant Management Unit for validation;
- Oversee budget design, in close consultation with ACTED (as relevant), and submit to IMPACT HQ finance for validation;
- Advise Grant and Project Development Department on specific donor approach/regulations;
- Negotiate proposals and/or contracts with donors, in close coordination with IMPACT HQ and in consultation with ACTED Country Director (when joint proposal/contract).
2. Programmes Management
- Ensure that all IMPACT programmes contribute to supporting better aid planning and are aligned with IMPACT global and
- Ensure that all programmes are conducted in coordination with and, when relevant, undergo the validation by IMPACT HQ; For all research, review TORs, data and draft deliverables, supporting assessment and GIS teams to ensure they meet expected standards before being sent to IMPACT HQ for validation; Ensure the quality and accuracy of technical information provided as well as the confidentiality and protection of collected information;
3. Staff Management and Administration
- Ensure that IMPACT staff, as well as national staff working in IMPACT programmes (including REACH, AGORA, PANDA) understand and are able to perform their roles and responsibilities related to country operations and links with HQ;
- Promote team building, productivity and staff welfare;
- Mentor and support the team to build capacities, and improve efficiency and performance, and follow career management of international and national staff working in IMPACT programmes;
4. Internal communication and coordination with ACTED teams
- Ensure regular reporting to IMPACT HQ through the Monthly Coordination Report, as well as direct reporting to HQ grants management, finance, HR and programme departments;
- Ensure that any risk to IMPACT programming, projects or staff is as soon as possible communicated to and understood by IMPACT Executive Director and relevant HQ head of departments.
- Coordination with ACTED – valid in all countries where IMPACT teams are hosted by ACTED
5. Project and FLATS management
- Ensure timely organization of project kick-off, review/update and end of project meetings;
- Monitor output achievement, cash burn rates and ensure a time completion of projects through review of BFUs, project factsheets, and project reports;
- Ensure that contractual obligations are met in terms of deliverables as well as narrative and financial reporting requirements, in close coordination with HQ Grants Management and (as relevant) with ACTED PD and finance departments;
6. External relations
- Establish, maintain and improve active and regular working relationships with coordination platforms (clusters, sectors, working groups, NGO forum, HCT, etc), UN agencies, donors, NGOs, consortia, academia, etc;
- Promote a regular and pro-active contribution of IMPACT and its programmes in key aid decision-making forums (including HCT, donor coordination meetings, inter/cluster meetings, etc) and for key decision making milestones (HNO/HRP, donor financial years, etc);
7. Contribution to global IMPACT strategy development and operations
The Country Coordinator will regularly engage with IMPACT HQ Executive Director and global Managers to contribute to strategy development and support IMPACT’s operations from the distance or through surge to other countries
Qualifications and Experience
- Excellent academic qualifications, including a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline (International Relations, Political Sciences, Social Research, Economics, Development Studies, or similar)
- Proven track record in successful management of international and national teams in humanitarian contexts
- Excellent analytical skills
- Fluency in both oral and written English, with experience in report writing at a graduate or professional level and excellent drafting skills
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural environment and strong capacity to work in intercultural teams
- Excellent team working and communication skills
- Familiarity with humanitarian and development contexts
- Ability to work independently and with initiative
- Ability to think creatively and use initiative to develop new tools and processes
- Experience in assessments, M&E, field research, evaluations
- Working experience in East Africa is desired
Qualified persons with the required skills are invited to submit their cover letter and curriculum vitae detailing three work related referees and contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “REACH Regional Coordinator/GIS Specialist”, and received on or before 5.00PM on 11th August 2020.
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage
ACTED will at no stage of the recruitment process request candidates to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.