Job Title: IT Coordinator
Contract Duration: 1 Year
Position Type: Full Time
Reports to: Director of Technology Solutions
Location: Kitale, Kenya
About the Job: At Village Enterprise, our mission is to end extreme poverty in rural Africa through entrepreneurship and innovation.
We are seeking an IT Coordinator with a strong background in all round management of computing systems.
He/She will take charge of developing and centralizing robust processes and procedures for the organization’s rapidly growing use of technology for internal efficiency and program delivery.
The IT Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing and maintaining the organization’s current technology solutions, assets, and resources across Kenya, including mobile for data collection and program delivery, training and general technology support.
He/She will report directly to the Director of Technology Solutions but will also have regular liaison with the Kenya Country Director to support Village Enterprise’s core program operations.
He/She will also work closely with other staff in supporting various functional teams, including Monitoring & Evaluation, Innovations, and Finance & Administration.
Job Description: This is a dynamic position that requires an energetic individual with an innovative mindset and passion for inventing, implementing, and supporting technology solutions that work for the bottom of pyramid individuals in remote rural locations.
These initiatives will be implemented through our network of business mentors who will require adequate capacity to use and implement technology with minimal reliance on technology staff. Some of the specific roles for this position include, but not limited to:
Hardware Management and Technical Support
- Develop new and sustain existing relationships with vendors in line with market quality standards in procurement and maintenance of computers and ICT equipment to meet the work needs of field teams
- Manage inventory of IT assets (laptops, tablets, phones, & other hardware/software), including enrollment of devices in mobile device management (MDM) software. With support from the supervisor, develop inventory review log, maintenance plan, and documentation standards including – but not limited to – an asset management system to ensure constant visibility of asset custody, issuance and return
- Provide remote and in-person technical support for maintenance and troubleshooting of hardware/software issues for all offices and functional teams in Kenya
- Review and optimize technology set-up in field offices, including but not limited to internet systems/providers, surge protection, sharing and security of devices/networks, and replacement of office hardware
- Support the development of annual technology budget based on human resource and programme resourcing requirements
- Standardize and document processes for set up of new devices with appropriate software and settings
- Participate in technology planning in collaboration with the other members of the programmes and technology solutions team
- Meet and engage with Impact Creation team regularly to understand objectives and upcoming projects
- Support Innovations team in rollout of technology-related pilots using the lean testing approach of Human Centered Design
Implementation and capacity development
- Develop draft documentation for processes and procedures regarding IT systems for both administrators and end users Documentation includes but is not limited to; IT administration manuals, policies for management/maintenance/ replacement, end user training documents, and security protocols
- Conduct annual refresher trainings (either remote or in-person) on use of current systems and hardware
- Conduct ad hoc training for new employees and for rollout of new systems/hardware. Work with HR department to develop standard onboarding training
Systems / Software Maintenance and Support
- Provide field support for administration of cloud systems, including but not limited to cloud file management (Box), email (G-Suite), project management software (Wrike), and virtual meeting software (Zoom/Google Meet)
- “Safeguarding at VE is everyone’s responsibility”
- Monitor the content being stored on VE digital equipment to ensure no sexually inappropriate material is being shown to staff or program participants
- Ensure compliance with VE’s safeguarding policies and Code of Conduct in all programs, operations and practices
- Report any incident of child or adult safeguarding in program operations for appropriate action and follow up
Qualification and Experience
- The ideal candidate for this position should have a bachelor’s degree in Education and ICT/Computer Science (or closely relevant combination) with at least 3 years working experience in management of information systems, training and troubleshooting/ support and remote device management tools.
- A creative person, with an invention mindset, who can develop ideas and follow through innovative ideas for enhancing efficiency, scale and impact using existing and new technologies
- A self-starter with the ability to work and proactively seek solutions to technical and implementation challenges with minimal supervision
- A critical success factor for this position will be the ability to conduct trainings and ensure that field staff are able to independently use hardware and software resources and cascade technical skills to beneficiaries at the bottom of the pyramid (BoP) and our work in remote locations. As such, a background or previous experience in training and knowledge transfer initiatives is a key requirement for this position
- Demonstrated expertise in IT equipment installation, configuration, maintenance and troubleshooting for desktop, mobile and cloud-based application, internet and network systems including, but not limited to project management, impact measurement databases, remote meeting and document management platforms
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Clear basic understanding of development, implementation and monitoring of IT management, security and ethics policies and procedures
- Strong vendor negotiation skills with focus on value for money without compromising quality of products and services sourced and acquired by the organisation
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications coupled with a passion for changing lives of the extreme poor in line with SDG 1 are invited to submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org including a cover letter and CV clearly demonstrating skills and experience, current and expected remuneration addressed to “The Human Resource Coordinator” with subject line “IT Coordinator Kenya”.
Applications should be received no later than Friday 24th July 2020.
Please do not contact Village Enterprise to inquire the status of your application, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Village Enterprise is an equal opportunity employer.