AMREF Flying Doctors
Job Opening: Emergency Flight Nurse
Who we are
AMREF Flying Doctors provides Air Ambulance services locally, regionally and internationally.
With up to 1000 evacuations per year and international accreditation by EURAMI, AMREF Flying Doctors has become the leading Air Ambulance provider in the region, operating at the highest professional level.
The surplus generated supports Amref Health Africa’s work, in particularly the Outreach Programme and Charity Evacuations.
For more information, visit the website www.flydoc.org
AMREF Flying Doctors is a not for profit company, wholly owned by Amref Health Africa, the largest international health organization based in Africa.
Working with and through African Communities, health systems and governments, Amref Health Africa is committed to improving the health of people in Africa by partnering with and empowering communities and strengthening health systems.
For more information, visit the websfte www.amref.org.
Emergency Flight Nurse
Job Grade: C2
Physical Location: Inside Wilson Airport, Nairobi
AMREF Flying Doctors is seeking for Emergency Flight Nurses (2 positions).
Reporting to the Aeromedical Coordinator, the job holder will provide skilled pre-hospital and emergency life support care to patients to manage their care in the field and transfers by air or ground transport to more superior healthcare facilities.
Main Purpose of Job
- The Emergency Flight nurse is charged with rendering skilled pre-hospital and emergency life support care to patients to manage their care in the field and transfers by air or ground transport to more superior healthcare facilities.
- The emergency flight nurse will consider flight and ground safety, be accountable for the care of assigned patients and practice autonomy whilst maintaining current knowledge on emergency care and skills.
Reporting Relationships: The position reports to the Aero-Medical Coordinator.
Scope of Job
- Personnel Reporting to the Job Holder: N/A
- Reporting Directly or Through: N/A
Other Resources (in your custody)
i. Responsibility over company assets: Computers, telephones and any office equipment
ii. Responsibility over confidential company data and information: Has access to confidential company data and intelligence.
iii. Any other items that shall be listed under your responsibility
1. Accompany Air Ambulance flights in Eastern Africa, continentally and inter-continentally with and without a flight physician on a 24-hour duty roster;
2. Escort patients on commercial airline;
3. Provide advanced life support to casualties at accident sites, airstrips, in flight or on ground until hand over at the hospital, including stabilization and resuscitation;
4. Operate the 24-hour Control Centre and communicate as required using all other modes of modern communication available including radio communication.
5. Provide medical coverage at special events (Marathons, Horse shows, motor & field sports) by helicopter, ground ambulance or in a make shift medical facility (tents)
6. Handling and assembling all medical equipment needed for medical evacuations and proper storage after use.
7. Be available from home for emergency flights or other duties during night time, weekends and public holidays according to the on-call duty roster;
8. Follow up of in-patients and obtaining progress reports, whilst handling medical assistance case files
9. Write evacuation reports for fundraising or for Public Relations related purposes.
10. Participate in AMREF Flying Doctors marketing and or fundraising events
Extent of Discretion
In Consultation with the Aeromedical Coordinator & In collaboration with the Operations department.
- Kenyan Registered Nurse or its equivalent
- Higher National Diploma in Intensive Care Nursing
- Current certifications in: Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) with experience in Pre-hospital emergency patient care
- 4 years’ work experience as a Nurse, with 2 years’ experience in an Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
Skills and competencies
- Excellent communicator; with good command of English language both verbal and written
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with teams and within a team
- Ability to rise up to challenges
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines
- Ability to work calmly under high pressure
- Commercial environment awareness (Going beyond the basic requirement)
- Demonstrate high level of integrity and confidentiality
- Demonstrate good work ethics
How to Apply:
If you have the passion to contribute to the leading aero-medical and health solutions provider, submit the following to: Vacancies@flydoc.org by 28 August 2020 with a Reference Number: – AFD/MED/14-08/2020 on the subject line of your email.
Cover letter specifying how you meet the mandatory criteria, what you expect to bring to AMREF Flying Doctors (AFD) with an updated CV in PDF.
AMREF Flying Doctors is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share this commitment.
AFD is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.
Feedback will be given to shortlisted candidates only.
NOTE: AMREF Flying Doctors does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process.