Job Title: Research & Development Manager / Food Technologist
Nature of Job: Full Time
Industry: Food Manufacturing
Salary: Very Attractive and Negotiable
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Job Summary: Our client, in the food manufacturing industry, is looking to recruit an experienced Research & Development Manager / Food Technologist. This role entails being responsible for the coordination of the day-to-day activities of the R&D Department; primarily product and packaging development, across various product categories.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage, communicate and reinforce organizational and departmental initiatives to the R&D Department to ensure a consistent message and targeted objectives are achieved.
- Develop and execute R&D project timelines and deliverables.
- Creates new prototypes for R&D initiatives, including formulation, raw material sourcing, packaging development and costing.
- Design and execute experiments to meet project objectives.
- Work with customers to deliver new products that meet customer needs in a cost-effective manner and with formulations that can be processed in the existing operation.
- Establish and leverage contacts and connections with existing and potential new customers in the food sectors for commercialization of new products.
- Monitor marketplace for new trends, products, and/or flavors and competitor products and development activities.
- Plans, coordinate and execute production tests to successfully meet project objectives.
- Accurately record, analyze and report data to meet project objectives.
- Packaging development.
- Developing product specifications and parameters for all new products (SOPs, HACCP plans, risk analysis and costings).
- Coordinate 3rd party laboratory testing and report results.
- Conducts and analyze internal and external sensory evaluations.
- Manages R&D and sensory evaluation workspaces and R&D sample area.
- Contribute to development and management of R&D budget.
- Generate all finished product nutritional panel information and ingredient statements.
- Adhere to GMP’s, Standard Operating Procedures, and Safety Regulations consistently.
- Ensure compliance with plant safety standards and with applicable regulatory requirements while following the company’s Good Manufacturing Processes.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills Required
- BSc or MSc degree in Food Science, Food Technology or related field
- Master’s Degree is an added Advantage
- 10 years’ experience in Product and Packaging Development, 4 of which should have been taken in a similar position.
- Expertise in product development and new product innovation, with extensive Product Development / Food Science discipline
- In depth knowledge of modern Research & Development Methodologies, Systems and Process.
- Training in Product Development in a Food Manufacturing environment.
- Excellent knowledge of HACCP, ISO 22000 and its application in food industry
- Knowledge of KEBS, US FDA and UK FSA regulations for the development of product labels
- Strong passion for food and the drive to develop this passion throughout the organization
- Customer focused expertise in the snacks and spices industry
- Knowledge of western and ethnic snack foods and spices and the application of spices in cooking essential
- Strong sensory evaluation and analysis skills
- Prior experience in facilitation of group training desired
- Strategic decision-making approach to business interests
- High collaboration and project management skills
- Strong judgement and decision-making skills
- Highly organized with a strong focus on detail and accuracy with the ability to thrive in a complex, high demand, evolving environment, requiring quick responsiveness; must be able to handle multiple priorities while maintaining focus on the bottom line
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Must demonstrate a high degree of written and verbal skills and have excellent organization and presentation skills
How to Apply
If you meet the above qualifications, skills and experience send CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will be carried out on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.