Opportunities at SMEC International
About SMEC: SMEC is a professional services firm with Australian origins and a global footprint that provides high quality consultancy services for major infrastructure projects.
SMEC is ranked among the world’s top infrastructure design firms and continues to win industry awards for technical excellence, design innovation and the management of environmental and social risks.
SMEC is a member of the Surbana Jurong Group of Companies.
Inspector of Works
The Role: To ensure that work is constructed according to design and in conformity with the contract specifications and health, safety and environmental requirements.
- To assist the Highway Engineer, Bridge Engineer and Materials Engineer in the supervision of work.
- Perform inspections including, but not limited to, formation preparation, subgrade, backfill, formwork, embankments, structures, reinforcement, concrete placement and finishing works to ensure construction compliance with the specifications;
- Undertake field inspections, measurements and attend promptly to the Contractor’s Request for Inspections;
- Accurately record the findings of inspections and confirm whether or not the works is in accordance with the specifications;
- Notify the Contractor’s Supervisor and the Team Leader of any failures, conflicts or discrepancies and suggest suitable corrective action, taking advice from Senior Staff, where needed;
- Inform the Contractor of any required corrective actions;
- Inspect and record the Contractor’s performance related to traffic control, road closures, road safety, traffic accommodation, road maintenance and dealing with complaints by the road users;
- Maintain a detailed Daily Site Diary (to be submitted the following day); recording work undertaken by the Contractor for all activities in progress at any time showing the start and end time and full details of the resources employed per activity, any stoppages or delays; accidents on site; weather records;
- Maintain a systematic record of all inspection and test results to provide the basis for systematic and statistical analysis;
- Submit and maintain a formal record of any digital photographs taken whilst on site:
- Maintain records of quantities of executed works and measurements on a daily basis for purposes of checking the contractor’s Interim Payment Applications;
- Make and submit periodic reports as determined by the Team Leader
- Undertake any other duties as determined by the Team Leader or other senior staff
- Record, on a daily basis, the Contractor’s safety and environmental performance and take appropriate action at the time of observation. All safety and environmental observations are to be submitted monthly via the Team Leader to the Project Director;
Key Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with over 5 years of experience in road transport;
- Site supervision, structures and road inspections, material approval, quarry inspection and existing pavement surveys.
- Knowledge and experience of geotechnical, material and soil investigation for civil works and public infrastructure projects.
- Knowledge of Kenyan specifications for road works and bridges
- General knowledge of computer applications (MS Office) such as MS Word, MS Excel, Powerpoint etc
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their updated CVs quoting the job title on the email subject to, email@example.com on or before 28 August 2020.