The Kenyan Section of the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ Kenya) – A Just, Free and Equitable Society
Position Available: Digital Communications Consultant
Type: Six months consultancy
Salary: As per ICJ Kenya’s consultancy policy
The digital communications consultant will be an integral member of the ICJ Kenya team, managing brand assets, creating visuals and writing, and editing content for social and digital media — from webinars, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn to Instagram — as well as improving and maintaining the ICJ Kenya’s website.
The consultant will also contribute to the development and maintenance of the ICJ Kenya’s communications infrastructure and systems so that ICJ Kenya can produce high-quality work under tight deadlines.
The consultant will report directly to the ICJ Kenya Executive Director and work closely with the communications officer, and the programmes and administrations teams.
This work includes collaborating with diverse colleagues and partners in the sector.
Level of effort: This is a part-time consultancy position, a maximum of 12 days a month spread between September 2020 and February 2021.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Create and implement the ICJ Kenya digital communications strategy.
- Facilitate the development and support the implementation of a strategic digital communication and outreach plan targeting key stakeholders including civil society partners, funders, the legal and justice sector, youth, academic institutions and the general public.
- Maintain brand standards and consistency throughout all communication products, including visuals, word choice, and tone.
- Maintain a database of digital communications assets.
- Contribute to the development of internal systems and collaboration processes, so that high-quality communication outputs can be produced efficiently.
- Maintain an editorial calendar of topics and key research, advocacy, and documentation opportunities.
- Enhance the reach of ICJ Kenya digital platforms.
- Develop internal and external communication networks, partnerships, and collaborations to boost ICJ Kenya’s reach and visibility
- Share the latest thinking around digital communications practices and use social listening tools to generate insights.
- Improve and maintain the ICJ Kenya website, including validating requirements, developing content, and rolling out new technical features (coordinating with coders as needed) — all with a human-centric, inclusive lens that invites community feedback and participation.
- Using MailChimp, manage the ICJ Kenya newsletters and subscriber lists.
- Generate and execute unique ideas and concepts promote and amplify ICJ Kenya activities and outputs, including but not limited to Tweetchats, online gaming events, webinars, Instagram/Facebook/Twitter/YouTube Lives, and more.
- Provide periodic mentoring, guidance, and feedback on digital strategy ICJ Kenya staff, members and paralegals, as needed.
- Create high-quality visuals and compelling copy.
- Lead the development of ICJ Kenya’s visual and editorial brand guidelines, including colour palettes, typography, and layouts/templates for digital media as well as style guides and word lists.
- Draft and edit articles, blogs, press releases.
- Apply strong writing and copy-editing skills to translate technical information and concepts into simple and engaging messages with clear calls to action.
- Advise team on how to repackage ICJ Kenya outputs for online, non-expert audiences in order to invite participation and boost the sharing of ideas, learning, experiences — and to celebrate community members and achievements.
- Create and/or support the production of compelling presentations and other advocacy collateral for digital and social media, including illustrations, infographics, motion graphics, charts, memes, interactive reports, animations, videos, GIFs, and photos.
- Design and produce email announcements and newsletters.
- Coordinate work with designers, writers, and contributors in the broader ICJ Kenya community of practice.
- Mentor ICJ Kenya staff in the production of compelling digital communication assets and help them advance digital design and software skills.
Required skills and experience:
- Successful candidates will need a mix of visual, editorial/writing, and strategic/process development thinking.
- They will demonstrate their strength in understanding and communicating technical content, developing compelling narratives and visuals, and setting up editorial/communications systems and processes.
- They will also have in-depth knowledge of graphic design and digital typography, as well as experience executing marketing and branding projects from conception to production including websites and social media campaigns.
- A minimum of five (5) years of demonstrated experience in digital communications, required.
- Strong writing and editing skills in English, required.
- Experience web development and content management systems required.
- Solid experience developing and managing social media and community engagement campaigns, required.
- Experience producing live video and using social media listening tools, a plus.
- Experience with a range of professional digital design and video editing software required.
- An academic degree in digital media, communications design, or similar discipline, an added advantage.
- Familiarity with human rights advocacy and social justice issues, an asset.
- English is the working language for this assignment; excellent oral and written communication, presentation and editting skills in English are required.
- A good working knowledge of Kiswahili.
To apply please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Digital Communications Consultancy in the subject area
Your application should include your CV (indicating all past relevant experiences), cover letter (describing in a captivating manner why you consider yourself the unicorn for this role, with your all-inclusive daily rate) and the following three excerpts from your portfolio (these can be written, audio, visual or provided via a link):
1. An actual communications strategy you have developed for an organisation, or a style guide you have created for an organisation, or a digital system you have developed for an organization.
2. A social media campaign you have created or led, or a campaign you would recommend for either one of our social media handles.
3. A product you have designed from concept to finalisation that conveys an idea or message that is user-facing, friendly, and demonstrates:
- Your graphic design skills,
- Your video/motion production skills
- Your copy-editing skills.
Method of Application
Send curriculum vitae and cover letter to email@example.com
The application deadline is COB September 4, 2020, with applications reviewed and considered on a rolling basis as received.