The Kenyan Section of the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ Kenya) – A Just, Free and Equitable Society
Position Available: Human Resources and Administration Manager
Type: Fixed-Term Contract
Salary: Ksh 300,000 – 350,000/- pm (with benefits package)
The Kenyan Section of the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ Kenya) is a member-based, non-governmental organisation whose primary mission is to promote human rights, justice and democracy in Kenya and around Africa.
It is the oldest human rights organisation in Kenya and the only national section of ICJ in the African continent.
We seek a dynamic, creative and committed Human Resources and Administration Manager, able to operate in a fast-paced environment, demonstrating superior interpersonal and leadership skills, and knowledge of human resources and administration best practice and the ability to multi-task.
The Human Resources and Administration Manager is a key member of the senior management team.
Based in Nairobi, the position works with the entire team and reports to the Executive Director.
- Provide oversight and quality control over recruitment procedures, including screening, interviewing, reference checks, and job offers;
- Head all human resource functions in the office, including staff induction and orientation, maintaining and updating personnel files, and hiring and terminating employees;
- Ensure employment policy structures with regard to job descriptions, salary scales, benefits, diversity, and training. Conduct periodic surveys within local markets to benchmark competitive staff compensation packages;
- Oversee staff performance management policies, including annual and midyear 360 and probationary evaluation processes;
- Serve as the key internal point person for employee labour relations and personnel mediation in the event of inter-office disputes;
- Oversee research, drafting, and updating of employee policy and procedure manuals; staff bios; and staff orientation binder;
- Research, negotiate and renew with the procurement team all office suppliers pertaining to personnel benefits, such as medical insurance and pension;
- Identify periodic skills development or in-house training opportunities for staff;
- Ensure a healthy and robust office environment to promote staff growth, wellbeing and productivity.
- Promote a healthy spirit of teamwork and communication within the ICJ Kenya team through regular meetings and exchange of information.
- Promote employee wellness and employee retention through creative benefits.
- Oversee the day-to-day administration processes and operations for effective service delivery.
- Provide executive support to the office of the Executive Director
- Provide leadership in the maintenance of an up-to-date members’ register pursuant to the Societies Act.
- Provide leadership in the submission of the organisation’s annual returns with the Registrar of Societies.
- Prepare documentation for Annual General Meetings
Qualification / Knowledge / Experience / Skills:
- A bachelor’s degree in human resource management or business management administration (a master’s degree will be an added advantage)
- At least ten years’ previous work experience in human resources administration (experience in the non-governmental sector will be an added advantage)
- IHRM Membership
- Extraordinary initiative, creativity and capacity to think strategically
- Excellent interpersonal skills, diplomacy, verbal and written communication skills
- Integrity, confidentiality, and professional discretion essential
- Appreciation of difference, diversity and human rights values in the workplace
- Proven ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people with diverse backgrounds throughout the sector
- Performance review methods and techniques
- Staff training, development and recognition
- Knowledge and understanding of human resources best practices, including the ability to interpret and apply policies consistently in the context of problem-solving
- An understanding of relevant legislation, policies and procedures
- Technologically competent, experienced with database systems, including the ability to operate spreadsheets and word processing programs at a highly proficient level
- Willingness to travel as needed
At ICJ Kenya, all staff are expected to work at integrating the organisational values into the performance of their duties and tasks on a daily basis and by participating in in-house working groups designed to uphold the values and foster healthy communication.
Send curriculum vitae and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Search Closes: September 4, 2020
ICJ Kenya is an equal opportunity employer.
No phone calls, please.
Only successful candidates will be contacted