Kenya Integrated Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Project (KIWASH)
Job Vacancy: Service Provider Capacity Building Specialist
The Kenya Integrated Water, Sanitation and Hygiene project (KIWASH) works to improve the lives and health of 1 million Kenyan citizens in nine counties (The nine KIWASH counties are Busia, Kakamega, Kisumu, Migori, Nyamira, Siaya, Kitui, Makueni, and Nairobi) through the development and management of sustainable water, sanitation, hygiene and nutrition services.
KIWASH is a five-year United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded project implemented by a consortium of partners between October 2015 and September 2020.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, however, there is a likelihood that KIWASH will be extended for an additional 12-month period, to September 2021, in order to respond to COVID-19 and to maintain and advance the development gains of the project.
The Development Innovations Group (DIG) is a key implementing partner of the KIWASH project. In light of the foreseen extension, DIG is seeking three individuals to serve as county-based Service Provider Capacity Building Specialists to oversee project activities in specific project counties in Kenya’s western region (Kakamega, Nyamira, and Siaya).
Summary of Primary Duties
The Service Provider Capacity Building Specialist will support the development of sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) projects in a specific KIWASH county, this includes conducting rapid assessments of WASH facilities and services; prioritizing actions to restore services; developing the capacity of WASH projects to maintain services; engaging with other sector stakeholders; and strengthening monitoring and evaluation of WASH, among other duties.
S/he will work closely with county and sub-county government officers to promote the development/ enforcement of regulations for safe and sustainable WASH services.
The Service Provider Capacity Building Specialist will carry out the implementation of day-to-day KIWASH activities in a target KIWASH county. Duties include:
- Update county water facility and service maps and identify non-functional systems;
- Facilitate immediate repairs of dysfunctional water systems and establish maintenance and repair processes;
- Design and implement quick-impact small-scale infrastructure interventions;
- Analyze root causes of non-functional systems and develop lessons learned;
- Work with appropriate local partners in target areas to identify needs to develop and deliver business development services to potential private WASH product and service providers;
- Increase direct involvement of the private sector in WASH and strengthen the commercial orientation in the sector overall;
- Support strategic partnerships with the private sector and other development partners to assist in commercializing appropriate, promising technologies in the WASH sector;
- Promote development and enforcement of regulations for safe and sustainable WASH services;
- Identify opportunities to strengthen WASH monitoring and evaluation in target rural communities;
- Provide regular and timely inputs into bi-weekly, quarterly, and annual reports, as well as project work plans to the Service Provider Capacity Building Manager;
- Liaise with other KIWASH teams and partners on the ground; and
- Perform other tasks as required by supervisor(s) to meet project objectives.
- 7+ years of experience working in WASH-related programs;
- Master’s degree in a related area preferred;
- Familiarity with county stakeholders in the WASH sector;
- Experience working on community-based water supply and sanitation programs; and
- Fluency in the English language, both written and verbal.
The Service Provider Capacity Building Specialists in the three specified counties will report to the Service Provider Capacity Building Manager (Western).
Base of Operations
DIG is recruiting three Service Provider Capacity Building Specialists who will be based in either Kakamega, Nyamira, or Siaya counties.
If you are interested and qualified for this position, please send your CV, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Friday, September 11th, 2020.
Please include “Service Provider Capacity Building Specialist Job Application” and your name in the subject title. In your cover letter, please indicate your county of preference.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, or national origin.
For more information on DIG, please visit our website at: http://www.developinnovations.com/.