The Nairobi Hospital, a leading health care institution in Eastern Africa has excellent career opportunities for individuals who possess a passion for excellence, strong work ethic, are results oriented and committed to continual improvement.
The successful candidates will be team players with the ability to effectively add value to enabling good patient outcomes and shape best clinical and non-clinical practice.
Director Medical Services & Research
Ref: TNH/HRD/DMS & R/08/20
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing delivery of and ensuring continuous improvement of clinical services and patient care in line with strategic objectives and leading practices and the activities of physicians (across the in-patient and out-patient centres), including their recruitment, training and relevant accreditation.
- Champion the articulation and continuous improvement of a differentiating clinical services strategy for The Nairobi Hospital.
- Continuous improvement on clinical service delivery mechanism in the Hospital with aim of attaining the customer growing demand for curative and preventive treatments
- Provide leadership and expertise in the development and management of clinical units/services in line with the Hospital’ strategy.
- Ensure that appropriate structures, systems, competencies to deliver the quality of care in the brand promise are developed.
- Establish objectives and appropriate implementation strategies for all clinical services units/ departments.
- Demonstrate ownership of and communicate the department’s strategic direction to all clinical services staff and personnel.
- Work closely with the Medical Advisory Committee for coordination of clinical strategic initiatives.
- Champion the definition of the division’s processes, policies and procedures.
- Monitor the use of diagnostic services, inpatient beds, facilities, and staff to ensure effective use of resources and assess the need for additional staff, equipment, and services as required.
- Monitor quality and appropriateness of medical care in line with global best practices.
- Take ownership of the preparation and monitoring of the annual budget for the division and take corrective action in case of any variation.
- Ensure that the interfaces between Medical & research and other departments are managed optimally.
- Continually review and assess the effectiveness and efficiency of the division’s policies, procedures and processes and identify improvement opportunities.
- Communicate the activities and achievements of the department to all relevant stakeholders.
- Keep abreast of local and global best practices in clinical services, articulate implications for the division and the Hospital as a whole and make recommendations to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Develop the standards and requirements for selecting and appraising Physicians and participate in their recruitment process.
- Oversee the continuous development and training of medical personnel, including orientation of new medical staff.
- Perform clinical supervision of medical staff, including regular performance management, peer review and feedback, as well as physician behavior and impairment issues where required to promote the agreed standards of quality of care.
- Ensure feedback from patients’ satisfaction surveys are periodically assessed and leveraged to improve delivery of clinical services.
- Ensure effective organization and coordination of physician services and non-physician services as they relate to patient care to ensure a seamless experience for patients.
- Provide input into the plans and programmes for Pharmacy, Infection control, Radiology, Physiotherapy, Research and the cross-functional Quality Systems and Patient Safety Committee.
- Ensure effective coverage exists for medical emergencies and take ownership of decisions regarding emergency equipment and drug supplies required in the Hospital to meet patient’s needs.
- Work with the Chief Executive Officer to establish and manage relationship with relevant health care institutions, regulatory bodies, and other professional groups and service providers, etc.
- Work with Human Resources Director and Director Nursing Services to ensure availability of qualified specialists across all in-patient and out-patient centers and participate in employment contract negotiations where required.
- Develop and ensure implementation and periodic review of policies and procedures regarding adequate protection of patients’ rights, advance care planning, etc.
- Ensure that an effective care quality assurance program exists, is implemented and continuously improved in line with the Hospitals strategic objectives, relevant codes and regulations, etc.
- Ensure a mechanism exists for screening all patients’ medical records for clinical appropriateness, completeness, etc.
- Advise attending physicians on changes in clinical policies and procedures and keep them abreast of changes in county, national and global regulations.
- Ensure design of an effective work schedule for clinical staff, according to workload, space and equipment availability.
- Direct, supervise and evaluate work activities of medical and clinical support services.
- Maintain awareness of advances in medicine, computerized diagnostic and treatment equipment, data processing technology, clinical governance regulations, health insurance changes, and financing options.
- Provide periodic reports on clinical activities to the Board as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Minimum Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery degree.
- Minimum twelve (12) years’ relevant work experience, 6 of which in a supervisory role.
- Experienced in leading, coaching and managing staff, with an understanding of business operations in the private health care industry
- Medical administration and clinical leadership experience
- Professional expertise and financial orientation
- Highly developed clinical governance skills, including medical accreditation and credentialing
- Understanding of contemporary clinical practice in a broad range of specialties
- Strategic thinking and problem-solving skills Analytical and creative thinking skills
- Project management skills
- Strong persuasion and negotiation skills
- Strong business acumen / business orientation
- Good customer relationship management skills (internal and external customers)
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership and people management skills
- Ability to effectively manage multiple stakeholders
- Strong execution skills
- Strong collaboration and teaming skills
- Strong research skills
How to Apply
If your background, experience and competence match the above specifications, please send us your application (cover letter & CV/Resume) quoting the job reference number, your current remuneration, testimonials and full contact details of 3 referees, to reach the undersigned not later than 4th September 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We shall ONLY accept ONLINE applications and contact SHORTLISTED candidates.
THE NAIROBI HOSPITAL DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).